308 SA to WSM

youngtrout

Sorry, just thought I ask a more direct question.

What exactly is involved with taking a 308 short action and opening it up to a WSM?

From what I've read the bolt face needs to be opened up, sako extractor insatalled, new follower.

Am I missing anything??? Any suggestions for someone to open up the bolt face.

I would just buy a WSM but I'm left handed and had a hard enough time getting the one I have.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

You might find the feed rails need to be opened up a bit to let the fatter cartridge feed.
Also a lot of people extend the magazine length to let the projectiles be seated right out so that less powder space is lost.

I had a 30/06 opened up and rechambered to 7mm mag, a similar job, it worked out well.

Are you going to change the barrel or are you going to rechamber the existing barrel?

Might want to think about having the actioned trued up etc, and possibly a better recoil lug installed.

Sorry I can't with recommending anyone as I live in New Zealand.

For sure the new barrel, looking around right now. Looking hard at the hart

Thanks for the link to the thread. Sounds like a single stack is they way to go. (at least with a remington) I don't have any dummies around but I would think the single stack in a blind mag would just allow for 2 down?

A dummy too would allow me to see if the rails are wide enough as well. Maybe I'll pick the mag box and follower up at least and see how it feeds. I did some more checking and nobody seems to carry a left handed bolt body in both magnum bolt face and left handed so it looks like I'll need to have my bolt face opened up.

Any other thoughts out there, I google left handed WSM and up pops up 5 or 6 hits on left handed WSM's that started their lives as 308's or similar,

So I know its been done, but to what expense?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.