308 Norma to 338 Norma

Mr Phill

I have a Custom Made 308 norma. Build was done by Guy smith out of Akron Ohio, aka Smitty's Gunshop.
It has the Eddy stone action, and a 24" non ported barrel. Weighs a ton.
After reading about the new 338, I am considering rechambering to the newer round.
Can it be done on my current frame, or are we talking the extreme makeover here ?
Cost of ammo brass is a not a worry as I have reloading for my norma and everything else I own for about 20 yrs.
I am thinking of this conversion due to current situation that Bars me from dropping 3k on the table for a new build. I am building a house , dam its expensive !!
Any pros and cons greatly appreciated.

Its is heavy and you are not doing anything to make it lighter. That action is one if not the heaviest action I can think of to build something off of.

I am thinking that the two cases are different but someone in the know on the new 338 Norma should enter here and clarify. 338 Norma is a great cartridge but I am pretty sure it doesn't resemble the 308 Norma or the 358 Norma. I know when I reload for the 308 or the 358 I use two different sizing dies.

Neal

Thanks Neal, On the Dies, I am fairly sure I wont be loading using the same set as the throat of these dies is particular to caliber or Bullet diameter.
As for weight , well Ima gun toater from way back, when it gets too heavy I will mount it on my pickup truck.
Maybe I wasnt quite clear on what I am asking here.
I am wondering if my gun can be reamed etc and set to use the 338 norma.
Current differences that I know of are the barrel chamber and bullet diameter.
I have no clue on the Eddy Stone action as to whether is can stand that kinda punishment etc.
Trying to find out if this is more affordable than buying a new Rifle.
I love my stock and its design, while it is not of tactical nature it has never been bad on the eyes, and since it was made for my long arms, I intend to keep it.
So action and barrel works si what Im hoping to afford here, and end up with as good as I currently have but with long distance calling features added:D,
trying to post a photo of this sporterized nightmare.

The 338 norma has the same size bolt face as the 338 lapua mag .588 which is larger than your 308 norma,i can't comment on your action but on remington's the usual mods are opening of the bolt face,new extractor and opening up the feed rails for better feeding, a cheaper and just as effective alternative would be a 338 rum,all you would need is a rebarrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts