.308 Cal 185g Berger Classic Hunter

Dano1

Hi guys,

I just picked up a .300 Win mag and decided that The 185g Berger Classic hunter seemed like the best choice for my applications. I have quite a bit of experience loading VLDs for my .30-06 AI and My 7 STW and I like them in those rifles.

I'm just trying to reduce the seating depth problems that the VLDs can have. As this is a Factory chamber and Barrel, it seems that this would the way to go.

Have any of you tried them? I'm looking for Accuracy and then ultimately performance on Elk and game of that size.

Powder is going to be IMR7828SC as H1000 and 4831 in any flavor is un-available here.

Thanks for your imput.

Dano

You are on the right track with bullet selection for your application. With the 7828SSC, we list a starting load of 71.0gr and max load of 74.8gr. Let us know if we can help with anything else!

Corey,

Thanks for the reply. That is the type of information I was looking for. I couldn't find any data for that bullet weight. That will give me some where to start.

Do you have any estimated velocities for the top end? I have a Chronograph, but I'm curious none the less and it will be a few months before I can set it up and get the test loads running.

Also, How do these Classic Hunters perform on game compared to the VLDs. Like I stated before, I have ample experience with the VLDs and I know what to expect. Not sure with these.

They are a good looking bullet and I'm excited to give them a try.

Thanks again

Dan

Top end velocities should reach 3000 or slightly over pretty easily. Once the weather clears up, you'll have to run them through the chrono to be sure of where you are at.

Performance should the same as the VLDs in terms of penetration and expansion. The only difference is the bullet shape that is less seating depth sensitive than the VLD.

I would wait for the correct powder

Reloader 22 my favorite

H4831 a long time history with the 300 Win Mag

185 berger Class......excellent bullet

Thanks for the Replies Corey and Alaska.

I have Reloader 22 as well as 25 on hand. I only use the RL-22 for my 6.5-06AI as it was the best powder for it. I do think it's quite dirty and I'm not fond of it for that reason. I have a little H1000 on hand, but not enough to justify load development. As the top velocities listed for this cartridge/ bullet combo are from IMR 7828, I have no reason to not try it.

As it is, I'm worried I won't be able to get this gun to shoot anyway as The rifle is a 1965 Winchester Model 70 and had been shot a lot, and not cared for, I've stripped the barrel down to bare medal and there is some carbon or residue just after the chamber that really has me concerned. I can't seem to get it out. It may be Fire Cracking and the lands seem worn. So I'm not sure..... I loaded up some Generic sight in loads of 165g Sierra Gamekings and 83g of H1000 and if I can get it to group even an inch at 100yds, I should certainly be able to get it to shoot the Bergers.

I have hopes for this rifle, It is old and quite worn, It's been re-blued and put in a new laminate stock, If it won't shoot as is, then it will go to the smith and have a Kreiger installed. Just trying to give it a chance before we go down that road.

Dan

Dan

RL 22 is a excellent powder in the 300 Win with 185/190. That is what military sniper ammo is loaded with using 190gr Sierra MK.

Just make sure to use a good Magnum primer like Fed 215GM to set it off and that sure cure the dirty problem

Also 75.0 of IMR 4350 with 180's like Nosler Part or Speer Grand Slam.
Very accurate in my 300 Win Mag. This is the original 300 Win Mag load.

Hi guys,

I just picked up a .300 Win mag and decided that The 185g Berger Classic hunter seemed like the best choice for my applications. I have quite a bit of experience loading VLDs for my .30-06 AI and My 7 STW and I like them in those rifles.

I'm just trying to reduce the seating depth problems that the VLDs can have. As this is a Factory chamber and Barrel, it seems that this would the way to go.

Have any of you tried them? I'm looking for Accuracy and then ultimately performance on Elk and game of that size.

Powder is going to be IMR7828SC as H1000 and 4831 in any flavor is un-available here.

Thanks for your imput.

Dano

how did the 185 Classic bullets do?
I just pick up a box to reload in my 300WM?

how did the 185 Classic bullets do?
I just pick up a box to reload in my 300WM?
I ended up selling the rifle to a gunsmith. The barrel was shot out and I went another way with another rifle.
That being said, after this rifle, I had a Browning A-Bolt that really liked that bullet and IMR 7828SSC.

I can't remember exactly the powder charge, but it was shooting under an inch.

That rifle went to a good friend who is still hunting with it using that load, but loading his own bullets now.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts