308 ar10 168 eld-m imr4064

RckyMtnRutt

Just wondering if anyone could pass down some info or load data on this one. Newer to reloading have been doing very well with my bolt guns but have not loaded for a gas gun yet. Been doing a ton of research and finally feel ready to go.

ar10 308 20" barrel tbac 7
starline lrp
168 eldm
imr 4064
fed 210m

Going to load at 2.800 since that is where i just set the die for my buddies 308 bolt gun. If varget was easier and cheaper to find I would have went that route. Also, would have used lapua brass but didn't think it was justifiable for the ar10. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone could pass down some info or load data on this one. Newer to reloading have been doing very well with my bolt guns but have not loaded for a gas gun yet. Been doing a ton of research and finally feel ready to go.

ar10 308 tbac 7
starline lrp
168 eldm
imr 4064
fed 210m

Going to load at 2.800 since that is where i just set the die for my buddies 308 bolt gun. If varget was easier and cheaper to find I would have went that route. Also, would have used lapua brass but didn't think it was justifiable for the ar10. Any help would be appreciated.

What length barrel are you using? My bolt .308 is a 5R with a 20" tube. Using Peterson brass I run 44gr IMR4064 and I have to use a drop tube to get it in there and I still crunch kernels seating a 168 or 169 Sierra. I average 2700fps at 5,000ft elevation.

If I was running a gas gun I think I would start with a box of Fed GMM 168 or Horn 168 match and see how it performs, get the velocity data on it and use that as a baseline.

Just edited my post 20" barrel. And yeah i picked the match because my buddy was shooting some and it grouped really well at 200. Guess i need to get back out with some factory over the chrono. Either way once i get the brass friday i will work up a ladder and post the results.

Just edited my post 20" barrel. And yeah i picked the match because my buddy was shooting some and it grouped really well at 200. Guess i need to get back out with some factory over the chrono. Either way once i get the brass friday i will work up a ladder and post the results.

ar10 308 20" barrel tbac 7
starline lrp
168 eldm
imr 4064
fed 210m

i think you're gonna find it easy to load for. i'll have to double check, but for my 308 bolt gun, i was running 44.5grs of 4064 under a 178 eldx and got no pressure signs and great accuracy. yes it was a crunchy experiance when i went to seat the projectile in to the case

for the gas gun of yours, your gonna need to probably crimp or get the required tools to set you deck tension on the tighter side of things, just simply due to the nature of a semi auto.

also, load for you node first, then if you have cycling issues, adjust your gas block to the load

i think you're gonna find it easy to load for. i'll have to double check, but for my 308 bolt gun, i was running 44.5grs of 4064 under a 178 eldx and got no pressure signs and great accuracy. yes it was a crunchy experiance when i went to seat the projectile in to the case

for the gas gun of yours, your gonna need to probably crimp or get the required tools to set you deck tension on the tighter side of things, just simply due to the nature of a semi auto.

also, load for you node first, then if you have cycling issues, adjust your gas block to the load
I've read i need like 4 thousandths worth of neck tension. When I contacted redding I asked if i should get an expanding mandrel type die and they said to get their standard premium die. Hopefully I can get enough neck tension.

I've read i need like 4 thousandths worth of neck tension. When I contacted redding I asked if i should get an expanding mandrel type die and they said to get their standard premium die. Hopefully I can get enough neck tension.
You concerned about the bullet walking during firing?

I've started loading for our old Garand using match bullets/Horn brass for an upcoming friendly postal match at 300yds and I was concerned a bit about neck tension. I think I'm right at or tighter than 4thou I'll have to check. I'm using a bushing die... I took my calipers out with me, shot a few, removed the remaining and checked- no movement. Even at that tension my accuracy was fine. I've settled on a pedestrian load of 47.8 IMR 4064.

Even with that tight of neck tension my ES and SD's are low and accuracy (iron sights) is great. Give it a whirl and see how it works.

1650039327126.png

You concerned about the bullet walking during firing?

I've started loading for our old Garand using match bullets/Horn brass for an upcoming friendly postal match at 300yds and I was concerned a bit about neck tension. I think I'm right at or tighter than 4thou I'll have to check. I'm using a bushing die... I took my calipers out with me, shot a few, removed the remaining and checked- no movement. Even at that tension my accuracy was fine. I've settled on a pedestrian load of 47.8 IMR 4064.

Even with that tight of neck tension my ES and SD's are low and accuracy (iron sights) is great. Give it a whirl and see how it works.

View attachment 358326
That is pretty badass and thank you for the info! Looks like your load is producing some good results. Is that load a little spicy lol?

That is pretty badass and thank you for the info! Looks like your load is producing some good results. Is that load a little spicy lol?
No not spicy- that's for a .30-06 M1 Garand. My goal was to find a load that shot 2550-2,600 fps max with good accuracy. I don't want to damage the op rod on the M1.

It took some experimenting with the .308 but I found a hunting bullet in the Speer 165gr that takes the same load, has the same POI, same midrange velocity as the Sierra 168SMK. So I have a mid-range practice load and a midrange hunting load with no futzing.

G3dmBHH.jpg

u1eCTGw.jpg

The .308 is so nice to load for... So nice..

No not spicy- that's for a .30-06 M1 Garand. My goal was to find a load that shot 2550-2,600 fps max with good accuracy. I don't want to damage the op rod on the M1.
Geez those are some good groups and yeah I forgot the M1 was an -06....All i was thinking about was 308 and thought that was a high powder charge but it makes sense.

My bad I should have pointed out or posted the whole load data page because there are some .308 Garands, so yeah DON'T USE THAT CHART :)

You mentioned an expanding mandrel- I use them to get the dents out of my brass, especially if you are shooting over concrete. Plus my Garand is kinda hard on necks. I have to use that expanding mandrel pretty often prior to sizing. At least that's what I do. Another thing you could consider is if you find you need firm tension after doing some testing- get a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Inexpensive and very good at the job intended.

I totally agree with you there i was trying to avoid the crimp if possible but i dont have a bushing die so if i dont have enough tension i will definitely be looking into lee factory crimp die. Im so obsessed with Precison since i have been shooting bolt guns hopefully i can replicate it in the ar10.