.308 190 SMK Reloading Data

Ramses II

I'd like to try 190 SMKs in my Savage .308. Does anyone know where I can find reloading data for this round? Thanks,

Ramses II

ive got some.
You can get good performance with any burning rate from BL-C(2) to H4831.
You got a powder preferance?
If not, IMR- 4064 is practically magical with this combo. somewhere between 40 and 42 grains everything will come together. 24 inch barrels get 2500 and 2600fps respectively.
Works best with the RWS primer if you can get it, if not id say the federal then the REM 9 1/2 would be a good choice.

abinok,
Thanks for the info. I like Varget, and I've been considering buying a can of IMR 4064.

Ramses,
Ive only found one gun that shoots 190SMKs better with varget than 4064 which is kinda strange when you consider how close they are as far as burn rate is concerned. That being said, varget is about a grain faster than 4064 in this load, so back off those numbers I mentioned earlier. Probably the most common, and popular load today in palma (where the use of the 155grSMK is not mandatory) is the 190SMK over however much 4064 it takes to get to 2500-2525fps. You can go a bit faster, but it really isn't any improvement ballistically.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll have to try 4064. I have a Savage 10FP that loves the 190 SMK with 41gr of Varget - five shots, one ragged hole at 100 yards - every time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of the 5 that ive worked this load for, 2 were savages, and one of them was the one that liked the varget, mine was 41.2gr, so its pretty close. Its hard to argue with a one hole group for sure... how is your ES? I didn't document it on the varget load... except that it shot 9" of vertical at 900. (not bad by any means)
Whats the velocity for your varget load? It went 2531 in that 24" savage.

I had to get into my old notebooks. I keep all my load development targets in the book and make notes about the conditions , etc, right on the target. I found that I did try the IMR-4064 and the rifle didn't like my loads. Now for the funny part - I checked a worksheet I had put together for the Varget load and found that my numbers matched yours identically. A fifty shot sudy group had an average velocity of 2530.92 FPS. I had a larger standard deviation than I would have liked with the load (SDEV = 17 FPS), but I like the way it punches paper downrange. I found that the .308 doesn't launch the 190 SMK with enough velocity to use it for a hunting round, but it is hard to beat for the money for competition.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.