308 165 sst & rl15

Greywolf18

I was just wondering if anyone had good luck, and if so what their recipe was.

I will be using Winchester brass, Hornady SST 165gr, CCI Large Rifle Primers, and RL-15 powder.

I'm new to reloading, and components are just getting in so I am looking forward to trying to make my first bullets this weekend! Hopefully rain holds off and I can get to shoot them to and hope I don't blow my gun and me up :p

Good to hear you getting in to reloading. 165 SST is great bullet with cannelure for crimping ( usually not needed). If interested in crimping though check out this link exterior ballistics Not familiar with R-15 , but Varget, IMR 4895 and 4064 are great powders for 308. The nice thing about the 308 it shoots everything well under the light side of 200grs. (usually) Great round to start reloading with. Take your time and document well. Good shooting.

Last edited:
I decided to get RL-15 after trying to find an alternative to Varget. It seems like Varget is the hardest powder to find and I wanted something that was as good for .308 as well as .223. Most of the people responded that RL15 worked very well for both and some said it was almost the equivalent of Varget but made by a different manufacturer. Went to the range a couple weeks ago and talked to a guy that was shooting next to me and we started talking and he said his shot actually better with RL15 because unlike Varget he's never had a difference between lot #'s. I did more research and several people made the same comment.....but in the end it boiled down to I could find RL15 and not Varget and I got tired of listening to the wifey yell at me for having all this reloading stuff but not 1 bullet had been made lol

Like I said the 308 usually performs well with everything, 223 isnt to finicky either. Sounds like youve been in contact with some Knowledgable people. You better start makin some rounds or i will be buying your stuff of ebay (surely she has no idea what you paid, so she should be selling it CHEAP)lol.

Oh that has come up :p

I went to a gun show one day and came home and made the comment on how expensive AR's had gotten recently. I then said I was glad that I got my 2 when I did because even used ones are going for more than what I paid. Well, I was going to the field the next week, and she said "So what you're telling me is that I can sell your guns and I'll give you the original money and keep the profit?" lol I told her she better use the profit for a good divorce attorney lol:D I love having a wife with a good sense of humor.....and that doesn't know how to shoot!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.