300WSM RL23 or RL26

tbrice23

Got a Mcgowen varmint 28" barrel on the way. It is throated for a short action so I'll probably be shooting 168gr Berger Classic Hybrids or 185gr,190 gr VLDs.

I can't find squat for load data with Rl23 or Rl26 even on Alliant's website.

Does anyone have any info for this combo ?

I have H4350 H4831 rl22 rl17 imr4350 that I've used for my other 300wsm barrel so I have data for those powders.

It just kind of seems that Rl23 might be awesome for this cartridge.

I know it's not the same bullet you're asking about, but I emailed Berger and they sent me R26 load data for the 215 hybrid. It's my go to load in a factory chamber. 2832fps and holds just under half moa in my savage.

It's a 26" Savage 12BVSS. I ended up .3 grain over what the Berger tech gave me. During my ladder testing I got as high as 1.5gr over before seeing pressure. This testing was done at 90 degrees and sea level back in June. Speeds off a magneto speed. I am curious to see if this will be more stable than the R17 load I'm switching from. The 17 was predictable though, so I just adjusted according to my notes.

I run 69grs of R-26 in mine for 2910fps in a 26" barrel. It might of sped up since but that is what it was at around 35-40 rounds through the barrel. Mine is throated long and run in a long action though.

Yep, H4350 and 215m are my standard accuracy load for 300wsm.

Unfortunately both of my wsm acions are Model16 short actions. I just suspected that a slower powder would have more velocity potential in a 28" barrel with lower pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.