300wsm or 270wsm

I was just curious. Most of my loading books show the 130gr bullets from the 270WSM to be faster than the 150's from a 300WSM with almost the same BC. I'm looking at getting a 300WSM someday soon for an elk rifle, planning to shoot 180's or 200's, and want to keep my velocity up as high as I can with good accuracy.

Look at the down range trajectory, the 300wsm is flatter than the 270 wsm with the 140grain, the 130 grain from the 270 is flat and faster but the energy falls off pretty quick, for antelope the 270 is great, but for deer, big deer, you cant beat the 150gr TTSX or BST:D

Im planning on buying my father a precise superior rifle he can really enjoy. Originally wanted to buy a .7mm wsm but I know bullets are getting scarce. So looking at the 300wsm or 270wsm Ive been looking at the Browning A bolt Medallion and the Savage 14/114 American Classic. Im looking for a strong name, accuracy, and seldom need of capability with knockdown power at 400yds. All we hunt with rifles are Whitetail with this being said I want him to enjoy the best rifle for our application, no matter the brand or price but, it must be wood grain.

After reading all these posts, they are pretty much dead on.

I can tell you I have 4 of these rifles, 2 300 wsms and 2 270 wsms.

If all you're going to be hunting is Whitetails, forget the 300 and buy the 270 wsm for your dad. Both my 270 wsms are Sakos. One is a Sako A7 Tecomate, the other a Sako 85 Grey Wolf. Beautiful rifle!!!! You can get the 85 for 1400-1600$. The all weather laminated wood is beautiful. Its a wood rifle that is meant for hunting good weather or bad. Mine loves factory winchester 140 grain accubonds. Just shot her 2 weeks ago. I can put three shots on a quarter, 1 inch high at 100 yards. This is my "bean field" rifle. Neither gun has any noticable recoil.

Nothing against the 300 wsm at all, I hunt in Canada every few years and I take the 300 up there for big mulies and the big 350 pound whitetails.

Let me state up front that I have no experience with either round, thus my suggestion is less qualified to your direct question. Consider this though. You stated whitetails as the target animal and the std 270 has been a proven performer at the 400yd distance for many years, however, the 300WM will always do it with more authority.

The kicker you through in was enjoyable shooting, to that I can answer easily. No matter which caliber you invest in, also invest in a top level recoil pad. i can tell you that from many years of shooting, that a top quality pad will tame rounds well below what the factory sticks on there. What a HUGE difference in my '06 with the Kick Eze pad installed. In addition, I needed to bring my eye up some to properly align it with the scope, and still maintain a solid cheek weld. i did this with a Kick Eze cheek rest pad. Those two things, make my 30-06 as pleasant to shoot as my 243 with the factory pad, I am not exaggerating one bit.

I am sure any of the top brands of recoil pads will give similar performance, but do not overlook this detail when putting the gun together for your dad. I will be 60 next birthday, and have shot rifles since I was 8 yrs old. Recoil gets less fun and more noticeable, as you get older.

As an old fart myself, given your criteria, I'd suggest the 270, with a good scope and pad, and no regrets.

Now if you ever think you might go after heavier game, the 300 WSM loaded with the Barnes 130gr TTSX, would shoot like a laser beam, and similar recoil to the 270.

I forgot to add, theses would be for the deer, leaving heavier bullets available for the bigger critters. if only deer, go 270. My unqualified opinion.

Last edited:
Handirifle
I have a kick ez on my Blaser 300 and agree it does a wonderful job of recoil reduction, I didnt know they made a cheek pad, I will check that one out because it really would be nice to build my stock up a bit and make that punch a little softer.
Dale

Handirifle
I have a kick ez on my Blaser 300 and agree it does a wonderful job of recoil reduction, I didnt know they made a cheek pad, I will check that one out because it really would be nice to build my stock up a bit and make that punch a little softer.
Dale

Yea I got tired of gettin kicked in the face. Gettn soft in my old age I guess.:)

MidwayUSA has them.

Just to throw my 2 cents, I have a 7mm rem mag savage, had a 7mm WSM(browning A-Bolt) which is basically identical to the 270WSm and now I own a 300 WSM in a browning X-bolt. As far as recoil goes, the 270WSM will kick similar to the 7mm mag and 7mm WSM if you have shot either. Of course it depends on what bullet weight and powder load you are shooting. All things being equal, the 300WSm will kick a little more in the same rifle with same type rounds/loads. However, I just bought a browning X-bolt....which has their "new" designed recoil pad and believe me it works wonders. It feels like it has the same if not less recoil than my 7mm rem mag savage and my 7mm WSM A-bolt I use to have.

Personally id go for the 300WSM all day long:
1.) it has more ammo diversity in factory loads. Giving you more options for accuracy testing and being able to go up higher grains for bigger game such as ELK or Moose...and even grizzlies but for grizzlies id go with a 338 or something like that.
2.) It will have more knock down power if you are comparing same bullets..... i.e. 300WSM 180grain will have more knockdown than a 180 grain 7mm WSM or 270wsm. due to a bigger diameter bullet "in theory"
3.) its bullet trajectory will not be "AS" flat as a 270 but close enough that you nor the deer will ever tell a difference.

AND if you can afford the X-Bolt...you WILL NOT notice the difference in recoil...especially if this is a hunting rifle and your adrenaline is pumping. Now if you arent shooting long ranges...I would highly consider just a regular 270 or 30.06. LOT less recoil than magnums, and they have TONS of ammo options including much cheaper.

Now if you arent shooting long ranges...I would highly consider just a regular 270 or 30.06. LOT less recoil than magnums, and they have TONS of ammo options including much cheaper.

My thoughts exactly, for the ranges you are looking at and the critter involved the magnums are not needed. There are some other rounds that would fill the need too including the .25/06, 6.5-.284, .280 Remington, .260 Remington and a host of others. The first 2 though will do all you want and factory ammo is as cheap as you can find any factory ammo plus the selections of both rifles and ammo are large.

Bob

I know I'm a bit late, but i wanted to mention that Tikka makes nice wood. Maybe not like the old wood rifles of Remington, but really nice nonetheless. I find their craftsmanship to be A+! Whereas other rifle makers are degrading their quality of craftsmanship. :/

Last edited:
270widowmaker,

Were I going to buy a new rifle, I'd buy this one: Tikka T3 Hunter

The Forest is a great one as well, probably my choice in Tikka's wood.
forest.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Im planning on buying my father a precise superior rifle he can really enjoy. Originally wanted to buy a .7mm wsm but I know bullets are getting scarce. So looking at the 300wsm or 270wsm Ive been looking at the Browning A bolt Medallion and the Savage 14/114 American Classic. Im looking for a strong name, accuracy, and seldom need of capability with knockdown power at 400yds. All we hunt with rifles are Whitetail with this being said I want him to enjoy the best rifle for our application, no matter the brand or price but, it must be wood grain.

You have seen lots of good replies here. Just wanted to add that you did not say anything of your budget. My personal two choices would be both in .270 Winchester.
One option is the Supergrade bolt action with a decent scope like the 3.5x to 10x VX-3 Leupold. The other idea and one I prefer is a decent Remington 700 in .270 Win built by the Remington Custom Gun Shop. Great wood, great metal work, really decent accuracy, and somethings for sure he will be proud to hunt with.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.