300wsm budget tackdriver

gun_rat82

here's my 300wsm that started life out as a SPS. I had originaly bought it as a project I was planning where I wanted to build a bolt action 450 marlin. Before I ordered my 458 brl. I decided to see how accurate the gun was. Unfortunately the 450 project was shelved as soon as the barrel was broke in due to the fact the rifle must have been one of the rare factory jems that shoot like a barn on fire.

IMG_0312.jpg

after picking my jaw off the ground, I pillar beded the action and threw some glass at the recoil lug and the first inch of the barrel shank. I decided to powder coat the rifle in OD green and am pleased by the durability of the finish. I installed a tactical bolt knob, and re-tapped my base holes to 8-40 and installed a modified set of leupold dual dovetail bases with lapped rings. I put a bushnell 3200 3-9x40 with balistic reticle and bolted on my favorite harris sitting pivot bipod and shooting sling.

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

I've shot three mulies, one whitetail and one blackbear and over a dozen coyotes with it since then and have changed my load to the 168gr barnes tipped tripple shocks and have been tickled pink by the long range accuracy of the rig.

Last edited:
h4831 always has been good for me in my 300 wsm. I have three very different bullet brass combos and they all group well w/ the same powder charge weight.

why did you switch from 165 tsx to 168? Did it cause a problem with the bullet seating? I heard the 165 has the ogive pushed forward for seating closer to the lands within the constraints of the wsm mag box..

I chose to change to the 168 TTSX from the 165 tsx because of the higher bc of the 168. the both shoot to the same point of impact to 300 but the 168 drifts less at 400-500.

I chose to change to the 168 TTSX from the 165 tsx because of the higher bc of the 168. the both shoot to the same point of impact to 300 but the 168 drifts less at 400-500.

good info. If you don't mind me asking, how far off the lands did you seat, and did you have trouble fitting into the mag box with the 168 ttsx?

With the price of Barne$ bullets, its best to find these things out BEFORE investing in 50 bullets....;)

my best advice from 15 years reloading for barnes bullets is that the triple shocks love freebore. Don't be overly concerned with seating them to the lands. Just make sure they function in your mag-box and don't crowd your powder too much.
An important tip is to use an oal gauge to measure your seating depth due to the fact that barnes bullets have issues with the length of their bullets. If you set your die to seat at a certain depth you'll see huge discrepancies at the ogive of the bullets, my best advice for super accurate TSX's is to measure each round and turn your depth out each time after you seat a bullet.
cheers!

here's one of my 165 TSX's from my whitetail last year. My buddy greg had a bunch of whitetails eating his hay-bales and invited me to his farm to shoot a meat buck. The shot was 350yds and the deer was quartering away. The bullet impacted on the last rib and penetrated all the way to the 3'rd vertebrae of the neck. Only a handful of neck meat was lost and the buck gave one kick and died on the spot.

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

and I ate like a king last winter!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.