currently shooting Hornady Match 168bthp
380421_303009243053671_100000337935895_993231_30807490_n.jpg

390527_303009453053650_100000337935895_993235_27020724_n.jpg

group was shot at 100yrds

future plans include:
-bedding the action into a new stock
-SWFA ss16x in Burris Signature rings
-load development soon as i get a set of .308 dies

That's kind of what i was wondering. I know i've got a lot of ways to go as a marksmen both in the knowledge aspect as well as the skills aspect. Hence why i joined the forum, get the knowledge part here allow with advice and tips ad then get out and get some range time. I try to get out and shoot at least once a week, and I'm tryin to break the bad habits i've developed light pulling the trigger rather then squeezing it.

Hey great start and some solid plans on the upgrades. Its all about finding what you like and then improving. Shoot straight and looking forward to the future threads gun)

I'm looking at building 2 more long range rifle's based on Stevens/Savage actions. Once those are built this one will remain as my "go-to" gun.
I'm also planning on getting a muzzlebrake installed at some point.

That's kind of what i was wondering. I know i've got a lot of ways to go as a marksmen both in the knowledge aspect as well as the skills aspect. Hence why i joined the forum, get the knowledge part here allow with advice and tips ad then get out and get some range time. I try to get out and shoot at least once a week, and I'm tryin to break the bad habits i've developed light pulling the trigger rather then squeezing it.
How steady was your rest? And how heavy is the trigger pull. I string my shot like that on my Stevens .308 before I adjusted the trigger down.

Not sure where the trigger is set weight wise, but it is nicer then any of my other rifles. The factory setting is supposed to be right about 3lbs but i lightened it up a bit, gotta love user adjustable triggers.

Not sure where the trigger is set weight wise, but it is nicer then any of my other rifles. The factory setting is supposed to be right about 3lbs but i lightened it up a bit, gotta love user adjustable triggers.
HMMM well thats a 1/2 MOA group verticle and like 1.25 MOA horizontal Looks like maybe you werent establishing a natural point of aim.

Looks like you are off to a good start, just remember to enjoy the sport and not let it become frustrating. I will suggest your first upgrade and it will go a long way for very little money. If you are using the OSB munufactured wood as a bench that your photo suggests, put a flat smooth surface over it

We actually don't shoot off that bench we basically just set the rifles that we're not shooting on it..the bench is pretty haggard and how its setup puts you in a very awkward and uncomfortable position. So instead we usually shoot prone on the ground off a bipod and a rear bag.

We went out and set up my steel plate on sunday at somewhere between 600-700 yards(no rangefinder or GPS, so we paced it off and it paced off at 673) and decided to give it a try. Used a free ballistics calculator to get a rough idea how much adjustment i needed and dialed it in, and the first shot was about a half MOA below the plate; so i brought it up 1 full MOA which just barely nicked the right edge of the plate. So i dialed in a half MOA left windage and the next 3 rounds all landed on the right half of the plate in about a 7" circle. I was also quite happy that my temporary $30 wal-mart special scope returned to zero after cranking it up to shoot out that far, I felt 4/5 at a roughly estimated distance was pretty fair.

We actually don't shoot off that bench we basically just set the rifles that we're not shooting on it..the bench is pretty haggard and how its setup puts you in a very awkward and uncomfortable position. So instead we usually shoot prone on the ground off a bipod and a rear bag.

We went out and set up my steal plate on sunday at somewhere between 600-700 yards(no rangefinder or GPS, so we paced it off and it paced off at 673) and decided to give it a try. Used a free ballistics calculator to get a rough idea how much adjustment i needed and dialed it in, and the first shot was about a half MOA below the plate; so i brought the it up 1 full MOA which just barely nicked the right edge of the plate. So i dialed in a half MOA left windage and the next 3 rounds all landed on the right half of the plate in about a 7" circle. I was also quite happy that my temporary $30 wal-mart special scope returned to zero after cranking it up to shoot out that far, I felt 4/5 at a roughly estimated distance was pretty fair.
Building a shooting bench is one of the best things I ever did for myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.