300WM Sendero re-design

My Sendero is a 300RUM. It weights 10lbs-4oz. I ditched the 20minute rail since I don't shoot game over 1000yds anyway. It has a McMillan remington hunter stock with edge fill, a SS break, Leupold two piece bases and Nightforce rings, Vortex PST 6-24. It is a little too nose heavy with the new stock. After hunting season I am going to change to a Ti break. Should put it close to 10lbs even. Don't think I want it any lighter in that caliber, but it is a lot easier to carry than stock and points much better for me. forgot. Also has PTG firing pin and shroud. That's nearly 1/2lb and a very worthwhile mod IMO.

Last edited:
Remington 700 300 Win Mag Custom Build - blue printed action - Bartlein match barrel M24 contour - no turn match chamber - H&S stock with aluminum bedding block - glass bedded - trigger 2 pounds - TPS rail and rings - shoots 1 hole group 5 shots 100 yards with 190 grains less than 30 rounds $1975

Due to neck surgery, I can't handle the weight of this rifle

http://s168.photobucket.com/user/flyfishn/media/Guns/P1010029-2.jpg.html

My Sendero is a 300RUM. It weights 10lbs-4oz. I ditched the 20minute rail since I don't shoot game over 1000yds anyway. It has a McMillan remington hunter stock with edge fill, a SS break, Leupold two piece bases and Nightforce rings, Vortex PST 6-24. It is a little too nose heavy with the new stock. After hunting season I am going to change to a Ti break. Should put it close to 10lbs even. Don't think I want it any lighter in that caliber, but it is a lot easier to carry than stock and points much better for me. forgot. Also has PTG firing pin and shroud. That's nearly 1/2lb and a very worthwhile mod IMO.
You will not lose 4oz by switching from a steel brake to a TI brake. Maybe an ounce or two. There are other ways to lose an ounce or two as well. Just costs $ when you get down to it.

You will not lose 4oz by switching from a steel brake to a TI brake. Maybe an ounce or two. There are other ways to lose an ounce or two as well. Just costs $ when you get down to it.
Not doing it to lose weight per se. Going to do it to make the gun balance just a little better. Brake I have is pretty heavy, and sitting on the end of a 26" barrel.

I appreciate the continued thoughts and options.

Selling the gun is a no-go; this was my first rifle, I'm happy to modify it but it has sentimental value.

A gun must wear a certain type of optic to retain use as a long range rifle. There are lighter options than a 4-20 XTR II, but not by a ton, and I'm already invested in this scope so it will stay.

I'm not interested in a rifle built by Christensen or anyone else; a rifle built by me has all the money invested in components. A rifle built by someone else pays labor and profit to someone else out of the cost. Plus I simply get a lot of satisfaction out of accomplishing things with a rifle I put together myself...

Its a thing, get over it. Sure if your pop bought if for you I get it, that said my pop bought be a 5 lb 300 wsm, sure as hell don't have that any more.... I think he was pretty proud that I unloaded that thing, especially after the two bloody eyebrows it gave.

I ditched my own Sendero (first bolt gun I bought myself) pretty quick, the barrel was crap. I only keep the guns that bring me joy when I hit little things far away with them. If you are keeping it for nostalgia, thats cool.

Last edited:
You won't notice any change in it's balance. Get one if you want it but if that's your desire it's going to be money thrown away.
You could be right. I only changed stocks about a month ago and am not really used to it yet. That's why I am not going to do anything until after hunting season. Rifle really feels better and points better too. Never liked the factory stock. It seems to shoot a little better too. Think it is more in cheek weld than bedding though. It is more consistent. The reason for the balance thing is I am a competitive shotgunner and very sensitive to it. Doesn't really make that much difference with a rifle I know, but its in my head. I would notice the dif. even it it doesn't matter.

You could be right. I only changed stocks about a month ago and am not really used to it yet. That's why I am not going to do anything until after hunting season. Rifle really feels better and points better too. Never liked the factory stock. It seems to shoot a little better too. Think it is more in cheek weld than bedding though. It is more consistent. The reason for the balance thing is I am a competitive shotgunner and very sensitive to it. Doesn't really make that much difference with a rifle I know, but its in my head. I would notice the dif. even it it doesn't matter.

Cheek weld makes a huge difference. Most people really don't notice how much till they move up to the heavier recoiling magnums though with a poor stock and start walking away from the range/field with a bruised, swollen shooting side cheek.

Stock Packs are wonderful.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.