300WM Experiment

Went to my 1967 Hornady Loading manual and found quite a few loads for 110 gr bullets in a 300 WM. They IMR 4350 is the slowest powder listed.

My 7th Addition of Hornady Handbook list loads also. in this issue they list.

Varget 53.0 to 69.0gr.
IMR 4064 55.7 to 69.2gr
RL 15 57.2 to 69.4 gr.
IMR 4350 67.5 to 78.0gr.

These list velocities from 3200 to 3700 FPS with the heavy loads.
They list the V-Max as one of the bullets in the test.

HORNADY would be your, "GO TOO" for information.
Good Luck and Be Safe on this venture.

Finally made it to the range with this and here are the results from bags on bench, 4 shots @100. Stopped at 79 for a few reasons, the main being the gun malfunctioning (Here's the problem. Also, I'm happy enough with the group with 79gr 4350, especially since this probably won't be shot over 300yds.

77gr
20161117_214647_zps8djdcuro.jpg
[/URL]

78gr
20161117_214653_zpspivnnhx8.jpg
[/URL]

79gr

Also starting to question the accuracy/consistency of my Hornady Lock N Load. Quite a difference in elevation in two of the groups, as well as some groups I shot out of a different gun that day. i'll have to keep an eye on it.

Finally made it to the range with this and here are the results from bags on bench, 4 shots @100. Stopped at 79 for a few reasons, the main being the gun malfunctioning (Here's the problem. Also, I'm happy enough with the group with 79gr 4350, especially since this probably won't be shot over 300yds.

77gr
20161117_214647_zps8djdcuro.jpg
[/URL]

78gr
20161117_214653_zpspivnnhx8.jpg
[/URL]

79gr

Also starting to question the accuracy/consistency of my Hornady Lock N Load. Quite a difference in elevation in two of the groups, as well as some groups I shot out of a different gun that day. i'll have to keep an eye on it.
Nice shooting.

If you aren't weighing each load you're going to have at least some variation. If I'm going for best accuracy I never use volumetric measuring especially with stick powders.

Nice shooting.

If you aren't weighing each load you're going to have at least some variation. If I'm going for best accuracy I never use volumetric measuring especially with stick powders.

I'm weighing each load, but do you mean each cartridge or charge weight? Each charge is measured, but didn't really start measuring each cartridge until last night (260 rem), more out of curiosity, and surprisingly, the 6 I weighed were all within .2gr of each other.

I'm weighing each load, but do you mean each cartridge or charge weight? Each charge is measured, but didn't really start measuring each cartridge until last night (260 rem), more out of curiosity, and surprisingly, the 6 I weighed were all within .2gr of each other.
Each load for each round.

When I first started reloading years ago I was using an RCBS uniflow powder measure and several stick powders. I would way an occasional load and found out there was a fairly significant difference in them and after a good bit of examination I came to understand that some of the powder sticks were getting crushed or split with each turn of the crank.

That made for variations in the density of each measured load with a corresponding difference in the weight of each charge dispensed. It isn't large, never even a full grain but with high pressure centerfire cartridges it's enough to make a difference that can show up in group size.

I ran those out of a RUM. Big stupid fun. Really disassemble a lightweight critter. I got around 3800 and change if I remember right it was 10 yrs ago. Still have some left.

I ran those out of a RUM. Big stupid fun. Really disassemble a lightweight critter. I got around 3800 and change if I remember right it was 10 yrs ago. Still have some left.

Kind of the idea of why I want this. Quick and dead is the goal.

picking this thread up....I know its old but maybe you guys have made some kills with these loads? If so, can you comment on terminal performance at 100-500yds?

I want to develop a lighter (<=150gr) copper load for my 300wsm to shoot axis deer with. Thin skinned, smaller deer. looking at the Barnes TTSX in 130?

Thanks in advance!

Hit a few 'chucks with the 300 and 110gr VMax and was disappointed with the end result. Shots were <250, all dead, but I expected more of a 'show'. No flips, no mist, boring. Most times, exit wound was pretty much the same size as entrance. More damage was done by a 129SST and SMK going 8- 900fps slower in different calibers. If I ever get a hold of some nuisance permits up here, maybe I'll try the remaining on some white tails.

Hit a few 'chucks with the 300 and 110gr VMax and was disappointed with the end result. Shots were <250, all dead, but I expected more of a 'show'. No flips, no mist, boring. Most times, exit wound was pretty much the same size as entrance. More damage was done by a 129SST and SMK going 8- 900fps slower in different calibers. If I ever get a hold of some nuisance permits up here, maybe I'll try the remaining on some white tails.

In a .308 Win my son-in-law uses that very bullet for blacktail here in Oregon. Has not caught a 110 V-Max yet.

I thought it would be too frangible for white tail, but with little expansion on the chucks I've hit, I may have to give it a whirl.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.