300WM Experiment

orangediablo

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/110-gr-vmax-out-300-win-mag-12869/Waning to do a little experimenting with my 300 winnie. I'm currently using IMR4350 for my first few loads (165 and 180gr) and seems to work well. But, what fun is reloading if you don't experiment? I'm looking to try some 110gr V-Max, but not sure on the powder. Will the IMR I have be suitable? Do I need a faster powder? I'm guessing I would be getting about 35-3600FPS out of a 24" tube with that bullet. Last thing I want to do is drop $30 on a pound of powder only to find out it will shoot better with a different powder. Anyone with experience with light bullets with 300wm that can chime in?

I know of this thread, but looking for more info as the pictures are old and no longer available.

Last edited:
That is pretty slow powder.

Hodgdon lists a load for the 110 Speer SP and IMR4350 is not listed.
Alliant Manual has a load for 110 Speer SP using Reloader 15.

If it were me: using the tools I have, Reloader 17 produces the fastest. I rather like this powder. After that is H414 which is listed in the thread (I think).

I thought I had a Hornady manual but cant find it.

Reloader's Nest - a reloaders resource has loads

LoadID 8180
Bullet Hornady V-Max
Bullet Weight 110 grs
Powder H-4350…...2209
Powder Weight 80 grs
Primer FED 215
Brass Make Norma
Barrel Length 27.5 (inches)
C.O.L (inches)
Velocity 3666 fps
Group 100 yds 0.9 @ 300 yds (inches)
Submitted By Hardhit
Gun Info Sako TRG-42
Comment Chronographed Load

I do have some H4350, but has been hard to get for a while, so wanted to steer away from it a bit. Might give it a try.

I do have some H4350, but has been hard to get for a while, so wanted to steer away from it a bit. Might give it a try.

Like I said if it were me RL-17, it's plentiful. After than H414, I have some but have not used it.

I doubt I'll be throwing these past 300yds, so might just give the IMR4350 I have a whirl. Should have some results this weekend.

I know this is about 300WM,
but I was pushing 130gr TTSX in a 24" 300WSM with RL15 at 3500 fps with accuracy at moderate pressures.
I'll bet you could get 110 gr bullets to 3600 or 3700 fps safely with RL17 in a 300wm .

I've got my hands full with other projects now but I know I have some OLD Hornady 110gr FB bullets and a pound of RL17 on hand. If I get time I'll work up some loads for fun and see what I come up with in my 300WM.
While I'm at it I'll see what I can come up with on IMR4350 and 130gr TTSX. Should be a lot of fun. Most of the time I take my reloading WAY too seriously, on purpose of course.

Last edited:
Just loaded up 6 different loads (76-81gr) of these little buggers. Ended up with an OAL of 3.330, a bit shorter than my 168 loads, and not too far off the lands, but still short enough to fit in the mag. Unfortunately, I don't have a chrono, so no way to get a speed unless someone in Western NY area wants to go shooting. Will be shooting out of factory T3 Lite, and I'll post some pics after the weekend.

Attachments

• 20161108215529.jpg
    20161108215529.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 89
Just loaded up 6 different loads (76-81gr) of these little buggers. Ended up with an OAL of 3.330, a bit shorter than my 168 loads, and not too far off the lands, but still short enough to fit in the mag. Unfortunately, I don't have a chrono, so no way to get a speed unless someone in Western NY area wants to go shooting. Will be shooting out of factory T3 Lite, and I'll post some pics after the weekend.

Which powder??
Just go slow, shoot slowly (cool chamber/barrel),
Watch for sticky bolt lift, very flat primers and any other pressure signs. Inspect each primer before continuing to the next load. Have fun.

H4831 works well. I've used it and rl 19 with the 110 spire points in an 06. In the 300 you should see 3600+ with out much crunching. H 4831 is lower pressure than some of the others and shot very well for woodchucks inside of 400. Surprisingly better on yote pelts than my 243 with 75 vmax hp's

Which powder??
Just go slow, shoot slowly (cool chamber/barrel),
Watch for sticky bolt lift, very flat primers and any other pressure signs. Inspect each primer before continuing to the next load. Have fun.

Used up the last of my IMR4350 on 'em. I doubt I'll stretch this round farther than 300yds, so I may not be too picky when it comes to powder selection.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.