300win mag 215 berger help

Bowkill glad things are looking up for you. As far as the brass the nosler is Norma brass with nosler stamped on it.
Maybe Nosler does some factory prep but I'd check over it regardless if it where me. The Norma brass I have for my 300 has proven very consistent.

Dana Bodner that is a bummer and unfortunately the Nosler/Norma brass is slightly on the soft side and you may lose primer pockets faster. What I do is use a primer pocket uniformer on my initial brass prep for its first loading. Then I don't touch the primer pockets again, the ultrasonic gets them clean enough and there's no need to ream primer pockets. This may or may not help but give it a shot on your next set of brass

10-4. Things are on the up and up. Just yesterday while continuing load development I was able to print my fourth group in .4 range. I am on the other hand having difficulty getting accurate data from the g7 calculator. It keeps saying my velocities are much different than what i get from my chrono by close to 100fps. I've talked to g7 about it and I was told to keep trying to mimic my moa on the calc. Have you guys had this trouble or experience before??

Dana Bodner that is a bummer and unfortunately the Nosler/Norma brass is slightly on the soft side and you may lose primer pockets faster. What I do is use a primer pocket uniformer on my initial brass prep for its first loading. Then I don't touch the primer pockets again, the ultrasonic gets them clean enough and there's no need to ream primer pockets. This may or may not help but give it a shot on your next set of brass
Thanks for the info I will try that on my next set, I was also thinking about if my primers had anything to do with it I bought 5000 of the Federal 215-m

My scope is a vortex viper in tps rings that are lapped on a tps 20mos rail that is bedded to the action.

Sounds like you may already have your accuracy issues worked out. The only glaring thought I had was in regards to your Vortex scope. I have had too many issues with Vortex scopes myself and it has cost me a lot of $$ in components, barrel life and frustration. If you're still having issues I would suggest swapping out with a known good scope for some testing.

Indeed Tumbleweed Vortex is a problem especially with larger magnums I have seen more than 3 or 4 with broken recitals in the past. I also see alot of good loads falling apart because of not using locktite properly on the scope base mounts and inch pounds of torque on the frame lugs.

things for now seem to be stable but im still gona do more testing at distance. I have considered the idea of optics bit then I started getting accuracy loads. I wont be shooting for a few more weeks but be sure I will keep you guys posted with any and all results,

Ok well I'm back with some more info from the 215's and my 300win. Long story short here the 215's are no more.
I just for shitz and giggles tried some 208 eld-m bullets and pretty much hit fell in love.
After one range session I settles on 76.5gr h-1000, .010 off the lands and bingo. I cofirmed and re-cofirmed multiple times. My sd is running around 8 and accuracy is confirmed .5 moa to 750 yards.
Sure I had the bergers shooting well but they were no where near as consistant, so this new load not only gave me good physical results but boosted my confidence 100%. Enough that I was able to harvest a deer this year at 664yard. Fang flop.
The performance from that 208 o deer sized game was amazing. Anyone out there with thoughts on how this bullet will preform on elk??????
BUT......I started loosing brass so I just picked up some nosler. I hope I don't have the same primer pocket issues as Dana. The brass looks great and is very consistant in weight. Hopefully I don't have to tweak my load any with new brass. I'm having way to much fun just shoot.

So I guess I need some help. I've been trying to work a load for 215 bergers and thing just aren't going my way. I keep getting sporadic results in velocity and accuracy. Im using win brass fed 215 mag primers, h-1000 and of coarse berger 215's. I have turned all my necks to about 80%, I've payed close attention to all my case prep, and im still stumped.
I've worked from 71.0gr to 77.5gr as that is where I started to show signs of pressure. 75.0 and 75.5gr showed the best results with velocity in the 2850-2880fps range. im using a magnitospeed chrony. I've worked from touching the lands to 40thou off the lands in 10thou increments.
Just yesterday I went to the range with several loads ready to test and I found that 75.5gr produced and sd of 4 and an es of 9 with a group of 2.5" at 200 yards and average vel of 2877. 75.0gr produce an sd/es of 10/20 with a group of 1.5" and average vel of 2853. So I ran home and thought I would load up some more 75.5gr and see if I could repeat the low sd/es. well this morning I returned to the range and thought I would see what my 100/300 yard groups would look like. keep in mind all charges were hand trickled to exact amounts, my velocities this morning jumped to an average of 2897 and my sd/es jumped with it. accuracy was right at 1.5" at 100 but accuracy was all over the paper at 300. my weather conditions were almost identical as yesterday. I have had this problem everytime I I try to reconfirm a load with this rifle/powder/bullet/primer combo. Am I doing something wrong? 20fps seems a lot from day to day.
All components are same lot #. Barrel is a 26" Brux #4 with a 1-10" twist mounted to a trued 700 action sitting in an HS precision bedded stock.
Something I do when testing during the summer months is I keep my loads on ice so the powder doesn't heat up as the sun hits it in hopes of consistent powder temps. I am just not finding consistent accuracy and or spreds. Should I consider trying another powder/bullet combo or could it be something else. All loads have been worked on half grain increments so sould I start splitting the difference in weight which by the way I have never really done.
My scope is a vortex viper in tps rings that are lapped on a tps 20mos rail that is bedded to the action.
if I missed anything let me know and ill provide all info I have in hopes of getting to the bottom of this problem. if anyone has similar experiences or advise i'd love to hear about it, i'm getting ready to pull my hair out
thanks
I'm also using the 215gr Berger Hybrid for F-Class Open.
I find that it likes a bit of jump, say .080" in my particular chamber. In fact, it is pretty stable and unaffected by seating depths ranging from .060"-.100".
The only issue in my rifle is that ES goes up as the bullet gets closer to the rifling, the reason is unknown to me, but this is typical with this barrel. It has 803 rounds down and still produces 3/8MoA.

Have you considered doing a .3gr ladder test?
Find your tightest group, then play with powder charge in .3gr increments for 2 loads above and below this level.
At 300yrds/metres shoot each weight at one aiming point. What you want to see is clusters grouping at the same level, loads outside of this are out of the node.
I then confirm the chosen load @ 600 metres, in my instance only, to be sure that the load is stable.
What this is doing is finding a node that is wide and unaffected by charge variation/seating depth sensitive/barometric conditions.
Your problem may be from a barometric condition rather than a temp condition.

I would also try seating further out than what you have it now.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.