.300win 200gr Federal Terminal Accent

TheYoungGun

Greetings,

I am planning a Alaskan moose hunt within the next year or two. I have acquired a Ruger Mkii in the zytel paddle stock in a 300win mag this last Fall. I have yet to get a chance to shoot it but have picked up a few boxes of the Terminal accents and am wondering how these bullets have performed on animals. Also what distances have the animals been taken at? I'm more then likely staying with in 400yds but we will see what happens of course.

Thanks for your input!

I had one of those rifles in 300WM and it was absolutely horrible to shoot…even standing, let alone on a bench.
Cannot comment on those bullets, but for me, Elk/Moose require bonded or mono bullets to anchor the animal. Cup and core bullets are suitable for smaller deer, not Elk/Moose IMHO.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I had one of those rifles in 300WM and it was absolutely horrible to shoot…even standing, let alone on a bench.
+x10! Buy a Past recoil shoulder rig to shoot it. The recoil pad will deflect a bullet so hard.

BUT, mine shot decent not great but acceptable right at 1 to 1 1/8 at 100 yds with 180AB's. Traded for Sendero which heck of step up.

I have a decent stock of the 175GR 308 Win Terminal Ascent bullets. Have had some catastrophic blow through on 200+lb hogs at 120+ yards. Never retrieved the projectile. They've been boringly consistent for me when shooting at targets. Not the same caliber or game, but that's been my experience. Should be a great round for what you're doing.

This is a killing bullet and deadly accurate. It is the upgraded TLR with another relief in the shank . the shank is solid copper and from ogive to tip is lead with special non heat affecting tip. A great bullet. It is very similar to the Trophy Bonded Tip which is also a great bullet. The tip is the standard plastic tip. Hornady created the melting tip THEORY and load their ELDM match bullet and ELDX hunting bullet with the hyped tip. I have loaded and shot all of them and in my humble opinion . The Federal is by far and away the better bullet choice. I have killed everything from Whitetail , mule deer , Elk and hog with this bullet out to 500 yards all pass through except the elk which took out a lot of bone and was under the offside hide , I retrieved this one bullet . All shots one shot kills. One of the best bullets ever designed for hunting . JMHO

Last edited:
Greetings,

I am planning a Alaskan moose hunt within the next year or two. I have acquired a Ruger Mkii in the zytel paddle stock in a 300win mag this last Fall. I have yet to get a chance to shoot it but have picked up a few boxes of the Terminal accents and am wondering how these bullets have performed on animals. Also what distances have the animals been taken at? I'm more then likely staying with in 400yds but we will see what happens of course.

Thanks for your input!
Thrtljock: In my Rem. 700 the Terminal Ascent is shooting .25 MOA. Zero 25 yards/ 245 yards (2.66" @ 100) Point Blank Range w/6" vital zone. With a different scope (Leupold 5HD w/CDS) I took a speed goat @ 526 - Same ammunition

I have shot the Terminal Ascent in 3 of my rifles. A 300WM Tikka TX3 based custom, 300 WM Browning BAR and a 270 Browning BAR. The TAs shoot exceptionally well in all 3. In the custom they are 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. The only animal I have shot with the TAs was a Prong Horn out of the 270 at 256 yards. The Prong Horn literal dropped where it stood.

Think of the TA as an improved/modernized Nosler Partition. Bonded in the front, solid in the shank. It is a great bullet. The 200gr TA will be in my TX3 custom on Newfoundland on a Moose and Black Bear hunt in 2 weeks.

I have shot the Terminal Ascent in 3 of my rifles. A 300WM Tikka TX3 based custom, 300 WM Browning BAR and a 270 Browning BAR. The TAs shoot exceptionally well in all 3. In the custom they are 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. The only animal I have shot with the TAs was a Prong Horn out of the 270 at 256 yards. The Prong Horn literal dropped where it stood.

Think of the TA as an improved/modernized Nosler Partition. Bonded in the front, solid in the shank. It is a great bullet. The 200gr TA will be in my TX3 custom on Newfoundland on a Moose and Black Bear hunt in 2 weeks.
Are any of these a 26in barrel? if so do you happen to know what velocity you are getting?

No. the win mags are 24" and the 270 is a 22". I do not know the velocity other than the Federal state velocity which as I understand it is determined with 24" barrels.