300RUM help

bebberson

I am trying to find a load for a rem 700 sendero. I have been using H1000 and 210grain smk's with remington primers and remington cases. I am not having much luck (terrible accuracy). Do I try different powders or bullets I am new to reloading.

I am trying to find a load for a rem 700 sendero. I have been using H1000 and 210grain smk's with remington primers and remington cases. I am not having much luck (terrible accuracy). Do I try different powders or bullets I am new to reloading.

Retumbo has always worked well with the 200's and 210's

What are you intending on shooting with it? I had luck with Reloader 25 and 200 grain Accubonds. I am going to try Retumbo again and start out low. People here recommended 93-95 grains for the 200ab. That did not work for me.

If you have your bullet choice narrowed down, which it sounds like you do, the next step is to get a couple or few different powders that people have had the best luck with. Usually you can tell which powders these are. With the 300 RUM they tend to be H1000, Retumbo, or RL25 with a cople others in the mix.

I shot nothing but H1000 in my 300 RUM with the exception of a few with Retumbo. My rifle Preferred H1000 from the get go so I had no need to experiment with different powders.

Primer choice is usually one of the last things to change. They are not that important in developing an accurate load, BUT a different primer can make all the difference in the world, cutting some groups in half from my experience. 9 of 10 times though the primer you have on hand will work for load work up. If you get the hankering though, keep everything else the same and do a simple primer swap and see what happens.

I would recomend you try some Retumbo or RL25. Every rifle is different and you cant expect them all to shoot the first powder/bullet combo you throw at them into 1/2".

welcome to my world. I am working on the exact same project. I am having my best luck with 88 grains of H1000 and 200 AB. I was getting better groups with the 180 Accubond but I am pretty set on shooting the 200 grainer. I am loading magazine length and mainly working on something to use for hunting. What kind of groups are you getting?

I had the same drama with my sendero my best load was 90.5gr RL25 210 berger VLD(1/2 inch@200m) and it also loved AR2217(h-1000)with 178 A-MAX and nosler 180 E-TIP, bullets seated .20 off the lands,oh and i used federal GM215M primers and remington brass.Best of luck.

I had the same luck with h-1000 as you are having I borrowed /stole 1 pound of retumbo from my dad and he hasn't seen it since:) If your not doing this already you might want to try seating your bullets just so they will barely, barely clear the magazine the OAL should be somewere around 3.675. My rifle likes 85.5 grains of retumbo 3 shot group measures .318 @ 200 yards.

BIGBUCK

I know you are asking about reloading for the 300 RUM but thought I would pass this on anyways. I had the 300 Rum in a savage model 116. Couldn't find a load to work for it to save my life. Then just for giggles I got a box of factory Remington power level 3 180 gr Scirroccos. Man oh man what a difference. Turned a shotgun pattern into a nice clover leaf. Don't know what your intentions are for it but I took a 6x6 elk@ 200 and a nice 4x4 muley buck at 418yds and they both just dropped in there tracks. I gave up trying to reload for it and bought 8 boxes of the same batch that should last my hunting career. Good luck with it as it is an awesome round.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.