300gr SMK in Shilen 338 Edge

Northerner

My brother found a 338Edge on Gunbroker and since I have the loader and 100yd range at my house, I have the gun now breaking in the barrel and trying to find a load it likes. The barrel and action are Shilen. The stock is a big heavy synthetic of some kind. The barrel is 32" long with a big brake. Seems like all the pieces are there for a good shooting rifle. The magazine on the gun will only take 3.650" COL. I have tried 89 - 93gr of H1000 and have not seen a group under 1.25". A lot of vertical strings, two shots very close, touching most often, and one 1.25 - 1.5" high. Each grain of powder has increased velocity about 35fps. I am not seeing any pressure signs at 93gr and a velocity of 2805fps. I decided to load some longer than the magazine to get closer to the lands. I loaded 91gr of H1000 at 3.873". Still a group about 1.38" and velocity of 2806fps.

Do the SMK's want to be seated very close to the lands? Will they jump the .225" and shoot okay? If I can get them to shoot will jumping .225" hurt anything?

Any ideas would be great.

The biggest determining factor is O-jive, and since SMK's are Tangent o-jive, and not secant o-jive, they are much more forgiving to "jump" than secant.

Good Luck out there!

If you can make them shoot, I wouldn't worry about the jump.

Maybe try some Retumbo - a little slower burn in that half-mile barrel!! Should be a sweet shooter once you get her tuned in. You may also want to move back to 200yds - I was told by another LRH'er that the big 338's seem to settle in at 200+. I was skeptical, but have found it to be mostly true....

I have tried 91 and 92 gr Retumbo with similar vertical groups of 1.25 - 1.50" Velocity was better than with h1000 and no pressure signs. I am trying to find some RL-25 to see what it will do.

I don't understand the vertical groups. It does seem like it is the same shot each time. I have been shooting 3 shot groups and the high one has been any of the three with no consistency as to which one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.