300 Wthby load data issue.

timblevins

I have a new Weatherby Vanguard in 300 wthby mag and am having issues with the data in the Nosler book.
I'm checking each and every piece of brass for length of 2.825 case length, 3.560 O.A.C L and I can't lock the bolt down after the round is chambered. I have reduced the O.A.C.L down to .50 from the posted data and they are chambering but the bolt will not lock down after the round is chambered on the majority of the rounds.
I am using brand new Redding hunter series dies and reloader as well.
Is anybody having this issue or does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? Brass is new as well and is full length sized.

I have a new Weatherby Vanguard in 300 wthby mag and am having issues with the data in the Nosler book.
I'm checking each and every piece of brass for length of 2.825 case length, 3.560 O.A.C L and I can't lock the bolt down after the round is chambered. I have reduced the O.A.C.L down to .50 from the posted data and they are chambering but the bolt will not lock down after the round is chambered on the majority of the rounds.
I am using brand new Redding hunter series dies and reloader as well.
Is anybody having this issue or does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? Brass is new as well and is full length sized.
Have you tried to chamber a empty piece of brass do not size it before you try

A tight neck chamber.Try chamfering the inside of the necks with an 11 degree vld chamfering tool. As it is I am thinking when you seat the bullets it is pushing the very end of the neck out to cause it to chamber hard. When you said a resized empty case chambers easy is this what it leads me to.

I have a 7STW that rechambers after firing. No matter what the setting of the Hornady full sizer die it chambers very tight after sizing. I had to get a Redding body die to get the right shoulder bump and resize to have it rechamber easy.

we had a 243 once that took 3 different sizer dies before we found one that would make it rechamber easy.

An additional piece of information, I had to reduce the over all length by .050 just to have them chamber with the bolt closing.

A tight neck chamber.Try chamfering the inside of the necks with an 11 degree vld chamfering tool. As it is I am thinking when you seat the bullets it is pushing the very end of the neck out to cause it to chamber hard. When you said a resized empty case chambers easy is this what it leads me to.
Okay thank you for your advice. I'll give that a try and see what happens. I've never had this happen to me on any of the other rifle calibers I reload for.

Maybe you just need to send it back. The 300 throat should measure .3085. Seems the reamer did not get to bore diameter and there is still some rifling in the freebore. Make up a few dummy,s with no primer or powder and take it to who you got the rifle from and explain so the people of weatherby will have something to go by. I realize now and then some things drop through the cracks. The vanguards I have dealt with are usually very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.