300 WSM reloading and chambering problems

Next step: load up some of the fired brass that is all alike with whatever projectile you plan to use with the recommended starting load for the powder you are going to use and just work up from there. There is no truth to have to start with virgin brass other than the fact if the fired brass was fired on a different chamber It may have to reform. Since your brass was fired out of your chamber you have nothing to worry about. By the way, my 300 WSM really likes Berger 180 pills with H4350.

26E41AF9-76AC-4D6B-ABDD-06EA168A79EE.jpeg

Vol: yeah, unfortunately I did not take the magneto speed with me as I was going hunting and had to limit how much gear I took along. I was of the mindset that I could hit the range in my downtime and run some ammo thru it to start the break in process. Since I wasnt working up a load, thought it unnecessary.
Certainly wish I had done it now it would've been nice to know what the velocities were.
To the your second point, I can fit a bullet into the neck of a fired case.

vance: I appreciate your point about mixing brass and realize I did not make completely clear that I was separating brass. I'm actually slightly neurotic about that, I ALWAYS separate cases by head stamp and once they are shot they are dedicated to that firearm. Good to know about the Hornady, I think I will start by pulling some of those Federal rounds and back off the charge and shoot them thru the chrono to see what those particular bullets are doin. Once I get that figured out I'll take that once fired brass and work up my own load looking at pressure and velocity to see what I get.

Vol: yeah, unfortunately I did not take the magneto speed with me as I was going hunting and had to limit how much gear I took along. I was of the mindset that I could hit the range in my downtime and run some ammo thru it to start the break in process. Since I wasnt working up a load, thought it unnecessary.
Certainly wish I had done it now it would've been nice to know what the velocities were.
To the your second point, I can fit a bullet into the neck of a fired case.

vance: I appreciate your point about mixing brass and realize I did not make completely clear that I was separating brass. I'm actually slightly neurotic about that, I ALWAYS separate cases by head stamp and once they are shot they are dedicated to that firearm. Good to know about the Hornady, I think I will start by pulling some of those Federal rounds and back off the charge and shoot them thru the chrono to see what those particular bullets are doin. Once I get that figured out I'll take that once fired brass and work up my own load looking at pressure and velocity to see what I get.

10/4. Personally I'd shoot a bigger string without cleaning and see what the brass tell you. Chrono as you go. Your primers are not flat so that good.
certain brass is softer than others.
since a bullet will fall into fired case that a good thing.
if I read correct you were shoot 180 gr billets so you can do a variety of research and see what speed it typically . With that said what i seen with your brass didn't scare me. I've seen worse.
lots Of things can cause pressure signs on brass

hot load, soft brass, reamer issues. Bore centric, etc. etc.

also If it keeps worrying u try reloading or shoot a different brand and see what that tells u.

Last edited:

😎

how did you establish you were 30 thou off the lands and was the ammo all from the same lot number

There is no truth to have to start with virgin brass other than the fact if the fired brass was fired on a different chamber It may have to reform
There is truth to starting with virgin brass, if the previous brass has been fired in a chamber thats larger at the base than the reamer thats used now you can't size the base down far enough especially if it was hot loads.
Not all reamers are the same.

Do you mind posting a pic of your throat area? A couple from the neck area forward could help. Did I miss what you were cleaning with (bronze brush, just patches, etc)?

There is truth to starting with virgin brass, if the previous brass has been fired in a chamber thats larger at the base than the reamer thats used now you can't size the base down far enough especially if it was hot loads.
Not all reamers are the same.
I agree with that if it has been fired in a different chamber as I mentioned. please read closer to my response.

You can't reform brass after the web is expanded to far in a previous chamber brass has memory. Theres only one way ive found and thats whats called a ring die.
Its just asking for trouble trying to use brass from one chamber to the next unless its with the same reamer.
I understand the O.P needed brass but its sometimes hard lessons learned ask me how I know.

You can't reform brass after the web is expanded to far in a previous chamber brass has memory. Theres only one way ive found and thats whats called a ring die.
Don't disagree. I am referring in my comment(s) if the brass has been fired out of the SAME chamber such he had with the factory ammo. You don't have to start load development with virgin brass. Use what he fired.
I will leave it at that.

It sure seems like "soft" brass issue to me. One other thing to PERHAPS check is OAL of the fired brass.....just wonder if brass is on long side and stretching after firing and bottoming out in throat area.....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.