300 wsm powders

jtr1997

I currently have tried H4350 and Imr 4831 both put groups a little under an inch shooting 165 hornady gmx and 165 speer spitzer both have shot about the same. what do other people use, i want to get groups down around half inch

I currently have tried H4350 and Imr 4831 both put groups a little under an inch shooting 165 hornady gmx and 165 speer spitzer both have shot about the same. what do other people use, i want to get groups down around half inch

You're already using a couple "go to" powders. Have you tried a seating depth test? If you absolutely need something to play with, go with RL17 or IMR4350. Both are good powders. RL17 will give you a velocity jump over the other choices. If you decide to go with 180s or heavier, consider adding H4831, 7828ssc and RL17 to your current choices.

I have the bullets seated out litterally as far as i can with the mag. i was curious with h1000 or even varget i know they arent perfect but i know some guys load it

You're already using a couple "go to" powders. Have you tried a seating depth test? If you absolutely need something to play with, go with RL17 or IMR4350. Both are good powders. RL17 will give you a velocity jump over the other choices. If you decide to go with 180s or heavier, consider adding H4831, 7828ssc and RL17 to your current choices.
Good advice on seating depth a superformance might be a powder to try.

ok. what i have is rl17 h4350 imr4350 imr 4064 imr 4831 imr 4895, win760, h380, varget, retumbo, superformance
and h1000. i would much rather use an extreme powder if i can

I have the bullets seated out litterally as far as i can with the mag. i was curious with h1000 or even varget i know they arent perfect but i know some guys load it

Okay. Stick with H4350. You can keep your current MOA powder charge and do a seating depth test starting at magazine length. Once you find your seating depth, you can work your powder charge up until you see the slightest hint of pressure, then back down 1/2 grain. I'm thinking your load will be around 65.5 - 66.0 grains depending on your brass. If you and the gun are capable you will probably find a 1/2 MOA load.

with imr 4831 i have been from min to 1.4 grains above max from a nosler book no pressure problems, i can see i slight mark of the ejector but no flat primer, or sticky bolt. the probelm i found with h4350 was i could load them up only the min charge was decent, with imr 4831 it seems to like the high charges so i can get better velocity. If imr 4831 doesnt work thats when i will try another powder just looking at some options

with imr 4831 i have been from min to 1.4 grains above max from a nosler book no pressure problems, i can see i slight mark of the ejector but no flat primer, or sticky bolt. the probelm i found with h4350 was i could load them up only the min charge was decent, with imr 4831 it seems to like the high charges so i can get better velocity. If imr 4831 doesnt work thats when i will try another powder just looking at some options

Well, there you go. Load your minimum with H4350, find your seating depth, then work your powder charge up.

jtr, the H4350 had the best groups with 185 Bergers after trying several powders.

I'm very new to reloading, but I got a few good 0.5 MOA loads with H4350 using 180 grain TTSX and WLR primers. 2890 fps was the sweet spot for my 23 inch barrel.

I have 1 pound of IMR4451 that I'm going to work up in the coming weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.