300 wsm LR mountain rifle

Gentlemen thanks for all the experience and the information. I would really like to keep this bdl so looks like it may need a long action to give availability to play with seating depth.

Thanks

Buck

If going with the long action, IMO just go with a 300 WM and 215 Bergers. Less finicky action/mag wise, plenty accurate, brass is usually a little less expensive, and the 300 WM/215 Berger combo is legendary and very well documented for long range performance on elk. Killer with 200 gr Accubonds as well. Could still run a 24" barrel with a 2 inch brake. 700 yards easy peasy.

Don't discount the Barnes 168gr or even 150gr. They will hammer elk just fine and will shoot flat if you take a 300yard zero and have only seconds on the elk of a lifetime along a treeline or at dusk

I moved from the SE to the west 4 years ago. A 300yard zero is more your friend than you realize

I bought a Barrett Fieldcraft in 30-06 last year, used the 166 hammer Bullet. Load work up was fast and easy with that Bullet. I shot a 307" bull at 375 yards, was a good hit with complete pass thru. Watched him fall after about three jumps. Is what I will be taking back this year.

I am hoping to make the group elk hunt in the next few years and trying to prepare. Never shot an elk but know I need a well constructed bullet. I am wanting at least 190 gr but have heard a lot about those lighter hammer Bullets. I am sitting on a factory Remington 700 short action 300 wsm. It will be getting a match barrel probably criterion from NSS as I have had great accuracy with all of my builds. I would prefer to keep it blind mag and I am thinking a AG composite stock. They let me stop by the shop and tour the facility last year and handled all the models. Anyway I am more concerned and interested to see what everyone's recommends on barrel length, twist and bullet selection. I want to keep it balanced but not too long. I have not hunted the mountain much and can only imagine. It is fairly flat here on the florida and Alabama line. So this will be the elk gun. It will be threaded and most likely have a break on this hunt. It will be equipped with the TBAC 30 back home for those bean field white tails

Thanks

Buck

I have a cdl sf in 300wsm shoots 185 grain berger 3 shots.5 with a Quigley ford scope with cut glass works perfect out to 700 yes so far that's the farthest I've shot great Remington long as you change the trigger

Buck,

I sold my Savage 12BVSS a while back because it was just more than I needed here in west TN, but it was very similar to your suggested build. Blind magazine, true short action. The savage mag allowed for 2.95 max length 26" barrel 1:10". I would not have lugged it up any elk mountain though. I tested 200, 210, 215 Berger and 208, 212 Hornady Amax and Eldx. I preferred 208 Amax/ELDm and 215 Berger Hybrid. I killed deer with both these loads. With R26 the 208s shot around 2900 and the 215s liked around 2800. I shot mine to 600 regularly most of my kills were inside 300. I've gone back to the boring old 243 Win for my local deer. 540yds DRT on whitetails with that one. But not elk medicine for sure!

My point is, if you really want a short action, don't discount that route. It will kill whatever you hit in the boiler room inside 6-700 yards for sure. The 300WSM is a great round and I loved mine. Just didn't need it.

Build it on a tikka. This is one I just built on an AG stock, in 338-7wsm. Their mag length makes is long enough for the longest 30 cal bullets with the 300 wsm.

Attachments

• 2473298F-8566-4660-83C0-32F457727506.jpeg
    2473298F-8566-4660-83C0-32F457727506.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 280
Save yourself some time, energy and push the easy button. If you want a legit 1/2 MOA rifle, buy a Fierce Fury or Edge that will spit factory ammo into teeny tiny groups consistently. Your going to spend thousands on your Remington 700 build that "might" accomplish what you are needing it to do. Why take a chance on something when for the same amount of money or less you can get a superior product and not have to worry about getting your $$$'s worth??? No offense to your preferred gunsmith, I'm sure he/they do excellent work.

You stated that you have years to figure this out, that gives you the opportunity to do your research and choose exactly what you want in all areas of this equation. Don't sell yourself short, when a 6-point herd bull steps out at 600 yards and you can't get closer. Having a rifle in your hand that your confident in making that shot with is worth it's weight in gold. I'm not encouraging anyone to settle for a long range shot if they are not comfortable or have not put the time in at the range to take a shot of this magnitude. However, when you invest as much time and energy into a hunt as we hunters do. Going home empty handed because you don't have faith in your ability as a shooter or you don't have confidence in your rifle brings a lot of sleepless nights post hunt.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and may the force be with you!

I am hoping to make the group elk hunt in the next few years and trying to prepare. Never shot an elk but know I need a well constructed bullet. I am wanting at least 190 gr but have heard a lot about those lighter hammer Bullets. I am sitting on a factory Remington 700 short action 300 wsm. It will be getting a match barrel probably criterion from NSS as I have had great accuracy with all of my builds. I would prefer to keep it blind mag and I am thinking a AG composite stock. They let me stop by the shop and tour the facility last year and handled all the models. Anyway I am more concerned and interested to see what everyone's recommends on barrel length, twist and bullet selection. I want to keep it balanced but not too long. I have not hunted the mountain much and can only imagine. It is fairly flat here on the florida and Alabama line. So this will be the elk gun. It will be threaded and most likely have a break on this hunt. It will be equipped with the TBAC 30 back home for those bean field white tails

Not that I am that experienced but I have killed Elk with 3006 165 Rem CoreLok loaded at 2700 fps. Many say big 338 heavy bullet. The ranchers I know of, kill them with 270 Win regularly.
Thanks

Buck

Save yourself some time, energy and push the easy button. If you want a legit 1/2 MOA rifle, buy a Fierce Fury or Edge that will spit factory ammo into teeny tiny groups consistently. Your going to spend thousands on your Remington 700 build that "might" accomplish what you are needing it to do. Why take a chance on something when for the same amount of money or less you can get a superior product and not have to worry about getting your $$$'s worth??? No offense to your preferred gunsmith, I'm sure he/they do excellent work.

You stated that you have years to figure this out, that gives you the opportunity to do your research and choose exactly what you want in all areas of this equation. Don't sell yourself short, when a 6-point herd bull steps out at 600 yards and you can't get closer. Having a rifle in your hand that your confident in making that shot with is worth it's weight in gold. I'm not encouraging anyone to settle for a long range shot if they are not comfortable or have not put the time in at the range to take a shot of this magnitude. However, when you invest as much time and energy into a hunt as we hunters do. Going home empty handed because you don't have faith in your ability as a shooter or you don't have confidence in your rifle brings a lot of sleepless nights post hunt.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and may the force be with you!
You don't have to spend thousands to get a rem700 to shoot, nor are you selling yourself short.

If going with the long action, IMO just go with a 300 WM and 215 Bergers. Less finicky action/mag wise, plenty accurate, brass is usually a little less expensive, and the 300 WM/215 Berger combo is legendary and very well documented for long range performance on elk. Killer with 200 gr Accubonds as well. Could still run a 24" barrel with a 2 inch brake. 700 yards easy peasy.
I have a custom 300 WM shooting the 215 Berger, very solid round, seems to be easy to keep accurate at distance. All I hear is about how good the 215 Berger performs on elk. I have never hunted with mine, always opt for a lighter carry option due to how I hunt. But at the end of the day, is all about shot placement

Don't discount the Barnes 168gr or even 150gr. They will hammer elk just fine and will shoot flat if you take a 300yard zero and have only seconds on the elk of a lifetime along a treeline or at dusk

I moved from the SE to the west 4 years ago. A 300yard zero is more your friend than you realize
I also use a 300 yard zero, but prefer to shoot heavier bullets. There is very little difference when comparing. Guessing less than an inch at the high spot around 170 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.