300 wsm loading issues after 1 firing?

Buska

so here's the deal...loaded new/unfired Nosler brass for initial testing, no issues. Loaded the same brass tonight for round 2 of testing but these rounds won't chamber? My first assumption was that the bullet was jamming to the lands so I pulled it, double checked the max OAL with a COAL gauge and that wasn't the problem so I'm not really sure what to try next. Anyone dealt with this in a 300 WSM?

Here's what I did (and do) prior to loading and haven't had this problem before.

-neck size/deprime
-trim to length, chamfer/de bur
-prime
-charge
-seat the bullet

*the only thing I could think of was to start over and FL size but I don't want to pull all those bullets if I don't have to. I always just neck size in bolt guns but maybe I've been doing it all wrong :D

Thanks let me know

Headspace issue. You have to bump the shoulder back eventually and can't neck size only forever. Depending on gun and load some can get one firing some 3 or 4 and you'll usually feel them getting progressively tighter in chamber after each firing.

Full length size the one you pulled the bullet on to double check. You can set your full length to bump the shoulder back just enough. I personally primarily use full length bushing dies only anymore and bump shoulder back approx. .002" using a Redding competition shell holder set. Using a neck sizing die only, you're going to have to use a body die depending how how tight headspace is getting. I'd rather just do it every time to save me a step and time.

Headspace issue. You have to bump the shoulder back eventually and can't neck size only forever. Depending on gun and load some can get one firing some 3 or 4 and you'll usually feel them getting progressively tighter in chamber after each firing.

Ok sounds like I'll just have to full length size them. Is this typical with wsm cartridges or totally random and varies rifle to rifle? I typically shoot stuff off the '06 case and have never had this be an issue. Thanks for the reply

From reading online, FL sizing may chamber hard also.

Taking a few thousandths off the shell holder seemed to fix it for some reloaders.

When FL sizing a case, at top of the stroke, make sure the shell holder is contacting the bottom of the FL die. If not, screw the FL die down more.

I dont have a WSM. Good luck.

The Short mags seem to need to have the shoulder bumped back more that most other calibers. I have two 300 WSM's, one 270 WSM, and a 7mmSAUM and I full size ever time I load. Set your FL dies so that it bumps the shoulder back .002 and your problem with go away.

I've loaded for my old 300 wsm and my current 7 wsm, wsm shoulders have a 35* angle for their shoulders. I used to get 2-3 firings from my 7 wsm when neck sizing only from a fairly stiff load. Some chambers are much tighter then others and can depend on the load.

I have 2 .260's which are a 20* shoulder, that I used to neck size only on. One of them with a slightly pressured load I could only get one firing then have to use my body die to bump the shoulder back. My other .260 with the same exact load I didn't have any issues chambering, even checking th same case that wouldn't chamber in the one .260 would chamber just fine in the other. I lightened the bullet and the load and could then get a couple firings.

I've since bought a full length Redding S bushing die and just full length every time by bumping shoulder back .002". You can always raise the ram all the way, adjust your shell holder till it touches and back it off a touch then try to chamber and check it. Keep adjusting up or down in small increments until it chambers and then you'll have minimal full length sizing, just check the chambering on all casings before you load them all again. Check out the Redding competition shell holders too.

I've loaded for my old 300 wsm and my current 7 wsm, wsm shoulders have a 35* angle for their shoulders. I used to get 2-3 firings from my 7 wsm when neck sizing only from a fairly stiff load. Some chambers are much tighter then others and can depend on the load.

I have 2 .260's which are a 20* shoulder, that I used to neck size only on. One of them with a slightly pressured load I could only get one firing then have to use my body die to bump the shoulder back. My other .260 with the same exact load I didn't have any issues chambering, even checking th same case that wouldn't chamber in the one .260 would chamber just fine in the other. I lightened the bullet and the load and could then get a couple firings.

I've since bought a full length Redding S bushing die and just full length every time by bumping shoulder back .002". You can always raise the ram all the way, adjust your shell holder till it touches and back it off a touch then try to chamber and check it. Keep adjusting up or down in small increments until it chambers and then you'll have minimal full length sizing, just check the chambering on all casings before you load them all again. Check out the Redding competition shell holders too.

Good info thanks for the reply. Ive been using the Redding dies a while but not the bushing dies. Sounds like those need to be in my inventory

I've got a 25 WSSM and have experienced the same problem. It seems to be an inherent problem with all the WSM/WSSM series. I ground some off the shell holder to get enough shoulder setback.

I had time to tinker last night and got it all worked out. Pulled the bullets and FL sized them, made a dummy round to make sure it'd chamber. Good to go. Then loaded up the rest and cycled each round to make sure they chambered. Now I know...the WSMs just need FL sized. Easy fix.

On another note...RL22 with the 210 VLDs had a very promising start. Excited to see how it turns out! Any of you guys tried that combo??

I've got a 25 WSSM and have experienced the same problem. It seems to be an inherent problem with all the WSM/WSSM series. I ground some off the shell holder to get enough shoulder setback.

How do you like the 25 wsssm? I am a huge fan of the 25s in general. Especially for deer sized game. They seem to have magical killing power :D

Have you tried the cases in the rifle chamber after the neck sizing?
Does the case chambers easy before bullet seating?

You have to be very careful adjusting the seating die. Be sure the case neck does not hit the crimping ring in the die. Make sure the bullet is seating smooth. The steep shoulder angle and large case diameter makes swelling the case at the shoulder junction very easy.
A friend had a similar problem we traced it to the case neck bumping the crimp ring and was swelling the case at the junction of the shoulder and the straight case body. By backing the seating die back about .050 and readjusting the seating stem to O.A.C.L. the problem disappeared. Good Luck in finding the problem and a cure.

Have you tried the cases in the rifle chamber after the neck sizing?
Does the case chambers easy before bullet seating?

You have to be very careful adjusting the seating die. Be sure the case neck does not hit the crimping ring in the die. Make sure the bullet is seating smooth. The steep shoulder angle and large case diameter makes swelling the case at the shoulder junction very easy.
A friend had a similar problem we traced it to the case neck bumping the crimp ring and was swelling the case at the junction of the shoulder and the straight case body. By backing the seating die back about .050 and readjusting the seating stem to O.A.C.L. the problem disappeared. Good Luck in finding the problem and a cure.

You know what...the cases chamber fine after neck sizing only. But I seat a bullet and try to chamber, no go. Pulled the bullet, used a COAL gauge to make sure it wasn't the problem, FL sized the same case, seat it to the exact same length, and then it chambers just fine? I loaded the rest of them after FL sizing and they all chambered and cycled well. Heading to the range in the morning

Check the inside diameter of neck and full length sized cases. Check the diameter of both expander buttons. The neck size expander button may be smaller in the neck sizing die and bullet seating hard and swelling the case at the body shoulder junction area. Just a thought to check on the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.