300 win mag ladder test interpretation

Get a set of sharpies. Color the nose on them and you can see the color on the bullet hole. Don't put it on the bearing surface. If you get one your not sure of put alcohol on a cotton swab or patch and put it on the hole and the color will show up.
Shep

Get a set of sharpies. Color the nose on them and you can see the color on the bullet hole. Don't put it on the bearing surface. If you get one your not sure of put alcohol on a cotton swab or patch and put it on the hole and the color will show up.
Shep
What? No way!?!?!? BS hahaha Really?

Yes way. I do all my 1000 yard ladder test using them. I always use the same order of colors that way you don't have to write them all down.
Shep

Don't use a big black bullseye. The color doesn't show up well on black. But the alcohol will still show you what it was. I do my ladders on the white side of Christmas wrapping paper. Buy it on sale for a buck a roll and it works great and is portable.
Shep

Better pick a beverage up when you get your sharpies because it works very good and most of the guys at our 1000 yard club use them.

Looking for thoughts on where to go from here. This test was shot at 410 yards. The load is

Adg brass (new)
Cci250
225 eldm
Rl25

I know rl25 is temp sensitive. So trying to keep that in mind while development continues.

Weather was good
45-50 degrees, very slight breeze 2-3 mph

Primers started to flatten out at around 73 grains but nothing crazy. 74.6 had just a smudge of ejector mark. No heavy bolt lift. What I don't want to do is have pressure problems when it gets hotter out. Now, once the brass is fire formed I may be able to run it up towards that top node if I ever wanted to. I don't think it's worth worrying about trying to get my velocity higher then the 73.1-73.7 node. I think I'll stay in there. I think 2820-2840 range with this bullet will be great.

Not sure what happened to 72.2 unless that case just didn't have the volume? Not sure.

Anyone have any input? Am I looking at this right?

What about this one? (Dont yell at me I'm a beginner? :) )

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 124
Top node. It looks very good as long as you didn't have pressure there. Full cases give you better es/SD in most instances.
Try there I think you will like it. Plus your at the top of your barrel harmonic.
A good place to be.
Shep

Looking for thoughts on where to go from here. This test was shot at 410 yards. The load is

Adg brass (new)
Cci250
225 eldm
Rl25

I know rl25 is temp sensitive. So trying to keep that in mind while development continues.

Weather was good

Primers started to flatten out at around 73 grains but nothing crazy. 74.6 had just a smudge of ejector mark. No heavy bolt lift. What I don't want to do is have pressure problems when it gets hotter out. Now, once the brass is fire formed I may be able to run it up towards that top node if I ever wanted to. I don't think it's worth worrying about trying to get my velocity higher then the 73.1-73.7 node. I think I'll stay in there. I think 2820-2840 range with this bullet will be great.

Not sure what happened to 72.2 unless that case just didn't have the volume? Not sure.

Adg brass (new)
Cci250
225 eldm
Rl25

Weather was good

Adg brass (new)
Cci250
225 eldm
Rl25

Weather was good

jofrazell; I have a 300 win mag and you and I have had a conversation or two about the 300 Win as well as the 7-300..
I took a good long look at the ladder test that you made and I have a couple of suggestions if you haven't tried yet.. I would drop the grain weight of your bullet down to 200 Gr and your powder weight to 70 grain and take a real good look at your trigger control
as well as your breathing control. In sniper training, that was the areas that I had the biggest problem solving.. Try this.. Take a couple of long hard breaths and shoot on a total EXHALE and don't hold your breath and use the VERY end of your index finger to just bareilly touch the trigger.. It also helps to have no more than 2 1/2 pounds of trigger pull.

jofrazell; I have a 300 win mag and you and I have had a conversation or two about the 300 Win as well as the 7-300..
I took a good long look at the ladder test that you made and I have a couple of suggestions if you haven't tried yet.. I would drop the grain weight of your bullet down to 200 Gr and your powder weight to 70 grain and take a real good look at your trigger control
as well as your breathing control. In sniper training, that was the areas that I had the biggest problem solving.. Try this.. Take a couple of long hard breaths and shoot on a total EXHALE and don't hold your breath and use the VERY end of your index finger to just bareilly touch the trigger.. It also helps to have no more than 2 1/2 pounds of trigger pull.
Man I thought I was doing good. Those groups are sub half min. Always working on fundamentals and pressing the trigger strait back.

We tried 5000 dollar spotting scopes at 1000 yards. No holes visible. You could see 1/2 black pasties used to cover holes up but not bullet holes. On a crisp day with no mirage maybe. But that is seldom the condition at our range.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.