300 win.mag bullets

Pop ,veeery nice! At this stage everyone has me ready to load up some 200 accubonds and 200 smk's and se what happens .BTW , I see you live in what I consider to be the best western state for riflemen.Ooops! I just might catch some flak on that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.....jimm

[ QUOTE ]
Pop ,veeery nice! At this stage everyone has me ready to load up some 200 accubonds and 200 smk's and se what happens .BTW , I see you live in what I consider to be the best western state for riflemen.Ooops! I just might catch some flak on that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.....jimm

[/ QUOTE ]

NOt to blow sunshine up my own ....you know....I agree. I love Wyoming!

Try the AB's you will love them!

Pop,, can you post some pix of the places you like to hunt? .....I should probably start a new thread/different forum for this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Well!!! ,I just love that country. I even got ( almost! arrested by the sheriff of carbon county)Check out the pix at longrange hunting. see ya , jimm

Sakofan,...ditto on the powders. BUUUUUT! , i'M going to break out of the mold and try some new ones.. Slow as I am though it will take a while. however, that is not to say that it wont happen. Velocity is cool, however, accuracy is paramount. my regards, jimm

POP,
That is an enviable group at 300 yards. Very nice, I will eventually try the Nosler Accubond one of these days. I have heard mighty good things about them. Have you tried using Hodgdon Retumbo powder with Accubond? I understand that Hodgdon Powder is less affected by weather changes.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a custom win mod 70 and I changed out the magazine block to one for the 375 H&H and I cut the bolt stop back. Now I can seat to 3.57". HUGE benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of doing the same.

What velocity increase are you getting? Or what velocities are you getting with 180gr or 200gr. bullets?

I have not clocked the 180s, but with the old 26" barrel I was getting 2900 from 200 grain bullets. I would assume my new 28" broughton would do a touch better. I extended the magazine simply so i could seat to the lands while still feed from the magazine. Yes there is an added benefit of more case capacity, but I tried loading with H1000 which filled the case, but my rifle did not like it. Still liked the H4831, but I started seeing pressure signs only 1 grain above listed max in manuals, so i gained very little velocity with that load. I think I could have gotten it a bit higher with a full load of H1000 if the gun had liked it. Guns have a mind of their own. You can't tell them what to like.

Shilen 30, have you tried Reloader 25? I have a laminated stock Sendero in 300 Win. that really likes this powder with
180's & heavier. Like you said, each gun has a mind of it's
own.

I have not tried RL25. I have heard of several people that have done good with it like you said with the heavier bullets. It may be fun to try sometime. Right now 200 grain SMKs with H4831 will give .3" groups and occasionally a touch less, so I am not in a huge hurry to try anything else just yet. I have not played at long distances yet since it was only recently that I got the rifle back from the gunsmith after rebarrelling. I already had the H4831/200 SMK load worked up, tried it and it worked. I have been sticking with 100 yards trying different loads with 180 grain bullets. Seams to like RL22 with 180 BTs so now I will load some accubonds to try.

Some more

Antelope buck at 501 yards. Rifle: Winchester Super Grade 264 Win Mag.
Load 67 gr RL 25 3350 fps MV and .55" at 100 yds accuracy.

264buck04.jpg

Actually this was one of three goats on that day!

1st doe fell to the 416 WBY MAG (Heck it is a new gun with no "blood" on it and I could not wait to get to Africa in order to shoot it).

Shot was taken at 452 yds. Right behind the shoulder and out the other.

This is her with my boy! Notice the muzzle break on that 416 MAG!
416doe.jpg

2nd doe was at 277 yds again with the 416 WBY. One spine hit and she was dead.

Loads used.
416--330 GS Custom at 3075 fps
264--125 Nosler Partition--3350 fps

416 WBY Magnum Classicmark Mark V

416 cal 330 GS Custom
120 gr of RL 19
3080 fps
That is the group to the left below. Measures .595 center to center.

The other group is my new Marlin stainless 1895 Guide gun!.

45-70 and the 300 gr Partitions. 52 gr of RL 7 and 2100 fps or so. This one measures .55" outer edge to outer edge! You do the math! And this is from a lever gun. Both 3 shots at 100 yds

4570416.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
POP,
That is an enviable group at 300 yards. Very nice, I will eventually try the Nosler Accubond one of these days. I have heard mighty good things about them. Have you tried using Hodgdon Retumbo powder with Accubond? I understand that Hodgdon Powder is less affected by weather changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did try one or two loads with it. Both velocity and accuracy were quite impressive but nothing like the RL 25.
Besides with results like this who needs to try to experiment further? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pop , many thanks for the pix and info! I think I'll start a new thread in general dis"cussing" regarding the population of various game animals in the members states. hope you'll respond. see ya ! jimm

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts