300 win mag brass

swanbird58

I have been reloading for some time and I still can not figure out why some brass resized full length still chambers hard or not at all ?

Are you bumping the shoulder back? With out doing that you are not getting the proper head space for the belted magnum.

I have been reloading for some time and I still can not figure out why some brass resized full length still chambers hard or not at all ?
The cause is most often from NOT sizing the brass enough. This can be caused by hard brass as well. Brass of different manufacture can vary considerably in hardness, some take more deflection to achieve the same amount of set back.
The simple mechanics of FL sizing cause the brass to grow longer from head to shoulder as the body is squeezed smaller, if the die is not adjusted to push the shoulder back after this growth, it will NOT be even close to FL sized and will fail to chamber.
If brass is hard chambering after FL sizing, then you need to screw the die IN more, if this means the press cams over, then so be it.
There is so much stuff on the web about camming over damaging your press and brass that people believe it. It is simply untrue that camming over damages anything on your press, it simply only takes out the slack in the linkages, just don't bind up the press.
The simple fact is, if there is a case in the press, the ram is at the top and there IS a GAP between the DIE BOTTOM and SHELL HOLDER TOP, there is room to size that case more.
I use 1/12 turns when setting up dies, once I get them set, I mark datum on lock ring and die, remove the die from the press and tighten the retaining screw. I also swap out those brass grub screws with hardened steel ones and place a lead shot under it, then tighten it so that the lock ring will never move, even when yanking on a wrench to tighten it onto the press.

Hope this helps you understand WHY some cases fail to chamber after sizing them.

Cheers.
gun)

Are you talking about empty resized brass? Or loaded resized brass? In FL resizing a case it lengthens the case a few thousands of an inch over all each time the brass is sized, If the seating die is not backed out enough the case mouth will hit the crimping ring in the die. This will cause a swelling of the case at the body shoulder junction on the brass. This will make a shell load tight in the chamber.

Touch the base of the die to the top of the shellholder, if they don't fit then, get new brass, trade everything in and start over ...

Touch the base of the die to the top of the shellholder, if they don't fit then, get new brass, trade everything in and start over ...
What??
There is no need to trade anything in.
If the brass still doesn't chamber, then the chamber is shorter than the die can push the case.
To overcome this, back the expander up, so the decapping pin isn't protruding, place a .005" feeler guage/shim between case head and shell holder and size, chamber it, if still tight try .006" then .008" then .010". Somewhere will be a size that gets the dimension you want.
Then buy another shell holder and machine that amount off the TOP of it, this allows the case to enter the die further, fixing your problem.

CogburnR,
"Larry Willis belted magnum collet die. Works wonders."
How the hell does this die touch the shoulder of a case?

I run more than a dozen belted magnum cartridges, NONE, require this die, hard chambering is always from a die not setup correctly.

Cheers.
:rolleyes:

I run more than a dozen belted magnum cartridges, NONE, require this die, hard chambering is always from a die not setup correctly.

Cheers.
:rolleyes:

Not always. And I'm glad you've never experienced it, but unfortunately some rifles need it to get maximum life from brass, especially loosely chambered factory rifles. Standard dies just don't size the case down to the belt when they're set up to bump the shoulder correctly.

Had a problem like that once. Turned out I was cramming to much powder in and it was bulging the case. To bad cause that was where it was just shooting good. Solution: Less powder or different powder. Ended up using ball powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.