300 Win, 215 Berger and RL33

Tumbleweed

So, I have a friend who asked me for some help choosing and designing a deer/elk rifle possibly to be used to 800 yards on elk. He wants something under 9lbs that he can carry. My immediate thought was 300 Win and 215 Bergers. Probably a 26-28" barrel. We will have a match chamber cut as well.
Here's the question, has anyone experimented with this combo and RL33? Is it too slow of a burn rate for the 215? I realize it will fill the case but we can seat the bullet out and design the chamber to work around it. 3.750" COAL would put the shank/boat tail junction just a slight bit below the case neck. I would think this would leave lots of room for a full house of RL33. Thanks!

I am doing what you describe above so have been knocking it around in QuickLoad. My max COAL because of magazine restrictions will be 3.650 and a 27 inch barrel.

I ran your dope with RE 33 and IMR 7828. Just food for thought.

forum.JPG

forum 1.JPG

I am doing what you describe above so have been knocking it around in QuickLoad. My max COAL because of magazine restrictions will be 3.650 and a 27 inch barrel.

I ran your dope with RE 33 and IMR 7828. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the data Jim, I appreciate it. Looks like we're pretty compressed with the RL33 and even some with the IMR7828. I do like the 3025fps velocity estimate it gave on the 33:D I'm surprised on the lack of room still in the case even with that long COAL, but then again we're not talking a 230 or 240 grain bullet either. I really am not a fan of compressed loads, I like to keep it under 100% or as close to as I can for consistency. Hopefully somebody has already played with this combo and can comment as to how it actually worked for them.

Thanks for the data Jim, I appreciate it. Looks like we're pretty compressed with the RL33 and even some with the IMR7828. I do like the 3025fps velocity estimate it gave on the 33:D I'm surprised on the lack of room still in the case even with that long COAL, but then again we're not talking a 230 or 240 grain bullet either. I really am not a fan of compressed loads, I like to keep it under 100% or as close to as I can for consistency. Hopefully somebody has already played with this combo and can comment as to how it actually worked for them.

Don't be concerned with compressed loads. They are generally more consistent than non-compressed loads. I have seen this in two 7saum rifles.

Are you set on RL33? have you considered H1000 or Retumbo?

Not stuck on RL33 at all, just tying to explore options before we design this rifle. I'm not a Retumbo fan as I've tried it in 4-5 rifles and it had no velocity advantage over H1000 at the same pressure levels. Then you have the pressure spike that shows up with Retumbo if you get a little too warm. I'm trying to stay away from temperature sensitive powders too, RL33 in my other rifle doesn't seem to be very temp sensitive like the rest of the Reloder powders. H1000 would be a top choice but just wondering if someone has played with 33 in this combo before.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.