.300 Wby help!

Lots of good advise. As a shooter who owned several Mark V's, I tend to go with Jerry Theo on his bore cleaning suggestions. Wby barrels are notoriously full of tooling marks which gather fouling at an amazing rate. Alternating between chemical cleaning (Barnes CR-10) and physical cleaning (JB compound) really works well on stubborn fouling problems. I'd even suggest using "Wipe Out" foam bore cleaner which will save you hours of scrubbing.

Weatherby gunsmiths have told me that 95% of their rifles that are returned for accuracy problems only neaded a through bore scrubbing, even though the customers claimed to have cleaned them adequately.

I finally gave up on the Mark V's because they failed to hold zero fron season to season or had the accuracy just drop off. The problem proved to be the foward pressure points in the forearm. My beautiful wood stocks would swell/shrink/walk with changes in the climate and the accuracy went in the crapper.

I sent my last Mark V to a "well known" gunsmith who bedded the rifle and floated the barrel. The rifle never shot worse. The thin Wby barrel along with the intense Wby cartridges just did not work. I sent the rifle back to Wby, again, and they recommended replacing the stock and returning the presure points. I bit the bullet, replaced the stock, and sold the rifle.

Given a synthetic stock and a heavier barrel, the Mark V's would probably be far more accurate & reliable than the rifles that I owned.

Just my thoughts.

VH

Don't give up. I bought this old German 300 Wby. It had been through 4 owners and no one could get it to shoot. They all believed the garbage about Weatherby's not being able to group. Especially skinny barreled wood stocked ones. All I did is give it a thorough cleaning. Loaded up some full house Weatherby spec loads. 180 grain Partitions going out of this 23" barrel at 3250, mounted a 6-18 Leupold in Burris rings. The trigger is still at it's factory crisp 3 pounds. This rifles reputation was so bad I got it for $295. The last owner couldn't keep it on the paper for more than one shot! I bought it to rebarrel but...........This is how it typically shoots for me. This barrel goes no where!
german300deluxe9tg.jpg

Not quite as good as my Rugers but good enough for me to buy 2 more Weatherby's. I'm thinking the recoil of the 300 Wby may have had a slight affect on the previous owners marksmanship.

Here is a 3 shot group out of the same rifle.
SVI_300Weatherby351group.jpg

.569-.308=.261" That works for me. When I showed it to the previous owner guess what? He wants it back. Not gonna happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts