300 WBY build

drtony

Few years ago I bought a stainless mark V in 300 weatherby magnum. I, for the first time, decided to have the rifle rebuilt using a Mcmillan Weatherby style stock, bartlein barrel with 1:9 twist (rem varmint), timney trigger. Barrel was free floated and action was bedded in the stock. I bought a NF NXS 2.5-10 x 42 for it (20.4 oz). On paper this is my perfect rifle.

I got the rifle back and it was much heavier than I anticipated (10lb 4oz) with no scope. I felt like an idiot for not paying close enough attention to the weight. I went back and forth in my head as to what my options were:

1. Leave it alone (but then I wouldn't use it much at 12-13lbs scoped) AND buy a 300 PRC (little cheaper one)
2. I could have the barrel fluted (shave off .75 lbs or so)-- not my preference
3. I could buy a new barrel and a new carbon fiber stock and knock a solid 2.5 lbs off the weight (at the expense of nearly $1000 per pound).
4. I could keep it AND buy a new Weatherby Mark V Carbonmark and have both-- one for fun plinking and one for hunting
5. Sell it at a pretty large loss and get a higher end 300 PRC ( fierce, Proof elevation MTR or something)

I had decided on option 5, which was a bummer as I always took a liking to the 300 wby cartridge. I thought-- the 300 PRC is the exact equivalent in a modern case (no belt, no radius shoulder, little more efficient maybe) so i could justify it in my head. Part of the reason for choosing this option is the hefty $3200-3500 price tag for the mark V carbonmark pro / elite. I had decided on this a couple weeks ago and was waiting for a good price on a 300 PRC to come around. Well, I ended up finding a LNIB unfired Carbon Mark Elite in 300 weatherby magnum for a good price

Now I am rethinking things again lol. Am I crazy to buy the Elite and keep the heavy one and stick with the 300 wby or should I stay the PRC course?

I figured the fine folks on here could set me straight!

Last edited:
The only way i would sell the heavy rifle is if it didn't shoot as well as i wanted, i couldn't stand to look at it, or desperately needed the money.

If i were going to buy a factory rifle over 2k i would want verified accuracy and was truly exactly what i wanted.

Over 2k i would be looking at a custom.

Here's a great deal on one from mcwhorter. I don't know the seller or details of rifle... like weight. But i would be looking at it if i were you and if it fits what you are looking for.... seems like a good deal on a well known builder... second rifle down is 300 wby.

300wby vs PRC. What's your goal? Practice at 1000 yards? If you don't reload and only do factory ammo then prc was built for it. If you reload and your wby has at least a 10 twist then it will reach 1000 yards pretty much equal to the prc.

For over $2k I want exactly what I want and no shortcuts.

Just my 2cents

If you end up going for the 300 prc , buy the ammo first , then the rifle .
If you buy the rifle first and have trouble getting ammo , you might have to look at a nice elk with the new rifle , and say
" bang "
Already thought of that-- I bought 250 rounds a couple weeks ago :)

They were at my LGS

I love the 300Wby and am impressed with the Wyoming rifles. I have a Carbonmark and a Backcountry Carbon and they exceeded all expectations. The backcountry is exactly what I would have built so it works out. NWMNBowhunter is right though, for the money you could build exactly what you want if the Carbonmark Elite doesn't check EVERY box.

The only way i would sell the heavy rifle is if it didn't shoot as well as i wanted, i couldn't stand to look at it, or desperately needed the money.

If i were going to buy a factory rifle over 2k i would want verified accuracy and was truly exactly what i wanted.

Over 2k i would be looking at a custom.

Here's a great deal on one from mcwhorter. I don't know the seller or details of rifle... like weight. But i would be looking at it if i were you and if it fits what you are looking for.... seems like a good deal on a well known builder... second rifle down is 300 wby.

300wby vs PRC. What's your goal? Practice at 1000 yards? If you don't reload and only do factory ammo then prc was built for it. If you reload and your wby has at least a 10 twist then it will reach 1000 yards pretty much equal to the prc.

For over $2k I want exactly what I want and no shortcuts.

Just my 2cents

The proof elevation does check every box for the PRC. It's relatively light, 9 twist, cool as heck, 1/2 MOA guarantee.

The carbon mark elite would check all the boxes if it had a 9 twist, but I don't need to shoot the super heavies either so 10 is more than adequate

Goal would be a hunting rifle and practice out to 1200 yards (longest I have near me).

Also, I could reload as I have recently purchased all the equipment. I would only need dies for whichever I decide to go with

Hmm! PRC is the new kid on the block. The 300 Weatherby has been around since the late1940's. Fast 30 cals. Are very versatile especially with 1 in 10 twist or faster.

Bought a 300 Weatherby Mark V for my uncle in 1972 and I have had it back with me since 1984. Very effective round as I have used it on game from elk and kudu and black bear to deer.

Bought a new 300 Weatherby Mark V Accumark last year for less than $2k. The Accumark has so many custom type features without having to find a rifle and tearing it apart and rebuilding to your specifications. Some of the features include 1 in 10 twist 26 inch threaded and fluted SS barrel with Accubreak ST Muzzle Break, Trigger Tech Field, hand laid fiberglass stock with aluminum bedding blocks Matt gel coat and spider web accents, I have shot it at 600m with very good results. I currently don't know where there is a 1000 yard range near me that I can use.

If you go to the accurateshooter.com website and look up Ken Bruckner Sets 1000 yard Score Record you will see he uses a 300 Weatherby. Ken's record was beaten by .089 inch buy Joel Pendergraft. Interesting read. I have not looked up Joel's record to see what cartridge he used. Ken's barrel is a 1 in 10 twist and he shoots 240 grain bullets. He uses H4831sc powder.

Hmm! PRC is the new kid on the block. The 300 Weatherby has been around since the late1940's. Fast 30 cals. Are very versatile especially with 1 in 10 twist or faster.

Bought a 300 Weatherby Mark V for my uncle in 1972 and I have had it back with me since 1984. Very effective round as I have used it on game from elk and kudu and black bear to deer.

Bought a new 300 Weatherby Mark V Accumark last year for less than $2k. The Accumark has so many custom type features without having to find a rifle and tearing it apart and rebuilding to your specifications. Some of the features include 1 in 10 twist 26 inch threaded and fluted SS barrel with Accubreak ST Muzzle Break, Trigger Tech Field, hand laid fiberglass stock with aluminum bedding blocks Matt gel coat and spider web accents, I have shot it at 600m with very good results. I currently don't know where there is a 1000 yard range near me that I can use.

If you go to the accurateshooter.com website and look up Ken Bruckner Sets 1000 yard Score Record you will see he uses a 300 Weatherby. Ken's record was beaten by .089 inch buy Joel Pendergraft. Interesting read. I have not looked up Joel's record to see what cartridge he used. Ken's barrel is a 1 in 10 twist and he shoots 240 grain bullets. He uses H4831sc powder.
Nice , I enjoy hearing about the successes of some 300 weatherby mag shooters, I would like to experiment with heavier bullets , but magazine length on my model 70 pre 64 , hinders seating depth sometimes. So I tend to stick with 180 gr Noslers and for elk they always do great ( for me ) .
The only record I have a chance at is ugliest model 70
That wil shoot 1000 yards , and make dust fly.

drtony, I'm getting ready to rebarrel my 300 Weatherby Mk V. I'm curious as to the reamer and throating. Did you use the standard , Short , or no throat? I plan to shoot the 220 or 230 Bergers. I will also be using the factory floor plate magazine and am concerned about OAL.
Thanks

I did a factory throat. If you know what your shooting and have a load developed the gunsmith can throat it specific to that load. If you wanted that

Last edited: