300 wby, bad groups?

300 wby

I was sighting in my new gun 300 wby mark v synthetic, it was grouping good then I started getting strays all over. think the scope might have broke. don't know what else it could be. I had an older zeiss conquest 3-9x40 with rz600 on it.
any suggestions or comments?

I was sighting in my new gun 300 wby mark v synthetic, it was grouping good then I started getting strays all over. think the scope might have broke. don't know what else it could be. I had an older zeiss conquest 3-9x40 with rz600 on it.
any suggestions or comments?

Welcome to LRH,

You did not really give enough information to be of much help. If you suspect the scope, mount another and see if the problem persists. Sounds like it is a new rifle? You may have some barrel fouling issues.

Steve

Thanks for reply. Pretty new to long range shooting. there is barrel fouling in new rifles? I was doing the barrel break in procedure weatherby suggest. Had about 40 rounds through it over a few days. Then started shooting all ovr the target . I would not be concerned if it was in 2 or 3 inch, would mark it up as shooter error. But im grouping like 6 and 8 inch. Gots me puzzled

300 Weatherby has some kick to it. Maybe the stock screws loosened up need to be tightened up some more.

300, re-torque stock and scope mount screws to spec and clean the barrel then shoot a couple groups. If that doesn't help try another scope. Re-post if problem persists. Good luck

Thanks for the tips. Was thinking of getting a new scope anyways. Was looking at a trijicon accupoint 2.5-12.5x42

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.