300 ultra-mag setup

nelsonic

I'm wanting to build a long-range rifle using these parts...a stiller diamondback action, a Mcmillan hbr-50 stock, a krieger 1.4" or 2" 1/10 twist barrel 36" long, barrel blocked, using the Sierra 240g. bullet. I could use your opinions on this proposed set-up?! Any advise is welcomed!

I would use a different bullet. The 240g SMK is like a brick. I personally have not used/shot them, but have read where others have. Ballistically, there not that great.

I think you would be better off served with some Wildcat ULD RBBT bullets. Richard Graves out of Canada makes them. Very accurate, high BC bullets that have a dual purpose target/hunting role.

I believe he makes almost a 300g 308" bullet. Would be pretty scary out of a 36" 300 RUM!!!

wwww.wildcatbullets.com

I dont see the real big heavy 308" bullets, but I know hes in the process of making them, or is making them. Give him a call. Helluva nice guy....

Are you marreid to the 30 cal bore size? I ask this because in a heavy rifle like this, you would probably be happier with the performance of a 338 Edge with the 300 gr SMK and there are some new bullets being tested from Wildcat bullets that will make the 300 gr SMK look like a brick ballistically when they are all tested out and ready for production.

Just saying, the 338 is a better choice for long range and has a much longer barrel life as well.

Just another thought to murky the waters of decision!! Other then that should be a great rifle if you get it built correctly.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the info...no I'm not stuck on any certain caliber, but I've just been reading as much as I can from these pages and am trying to narrow it down. Trying to keep things somewhat simple also...What kind of velocity can I get out of a 300g. 338 ultra-mag? Thanks before hand...

Have you shot one of these monsters. I shoot long range and enjoy it. My step son has a 300 RUM, it's the only gun I've ever shot that was no fun. It's no fun to shoot, HELL to sit at a bench and run ladder tests trying to work up a load. 300 win mag is the most I'll ever have in a carry rifle.
My 1000 yard bench rest rifle is an 18 pound 6.5X47 Lapua. It's a JOY to shoot. I hunt with a 7lb 270 win that shoots 5" groups at 700 yards.

Get a boomer if you want one, but I want to enjoy shooting every weekend.

That's my .02 cents.

By the way, we only shot the RUM to 400 yards, but we shot 4 inch groups with 180 Barnes TTSX and 101 grains of Retumbo. We could probably have done better, but that was good enough for elk, and we were tired of getting our teeth kicked in doing load devlopment. Even with a lead sled it was NO FUN...

Have you shot one of these monsters. I shoot long range and enjoy it. My step son has a 300 RUM, it's the only gun I've ever shot that was no fun. It's no fun to shoot, HELL to sit at a bench and run ladder tests trying to work up a load. 300 win mag is the most I'll ever have in a carry rifle.
My 1000 yard bench rest rifle is an 18 pound 6.5X47 Lapua. It's a JOY to shoot. I hunt with a 7lb 270 win that shoots 5" groups at 700 yards.

Get a boomer if you want one, but I want to enjoy shooting every weekend.

That's my .02 cents.

By the way, we only shot the RUM to 400 yards, but we shot 4 inch groups with 180 Barnes TTSX and 101 grains of Retumbo. We could probably have done better, but that was good enough for elk, and we were tired of getting our teeth kicked in doing load devlopment. Even with a lead sled it was NO FUN...

I can shoot my 338 edge that Kirby built all day and never get beat up. you just need the right brake on it. but i would not want to shoot it much with out a brake. It kicks like a heavy243 not much at all. my 10year old little girl has shot it. it's a little much for her but she has shot it more than once. the right brake is a most for the big boomers

My 300 ultramag shoots awesome. I shoot 220 grain SMK at 3180 fps. I have hit prarie dogs past 1600 yards.
ultramag019.jpg

ultramag015.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.