300 ultra mag load data

billywj

I am havin a hard time finding a load that my gun likes.
I have tried six different loads with H1000 and Reloader 25
with a Hornady SST.
has anyone shot this bullet

i also got some berger VLD 185g but they say to start them at the rifling
but there is a problem the mag box is not long enough to do so.

What would be a good starting load with the berger any info would help

THANKS BILLY

Billy,

Drop Walt Berger an email at [email protected] with the cartridge you want to load for (.300 RUM) and the bullet you'd like to use (185gr VLD), and he will send you load data :)

thanks matt i send him a email
have you shot any of the berger bullets
if so how well did they preform
i got some 52g match for my 22-250
and cant get them to fly

Billy,

Sorry to say I haven't shot them yet (my long-range .300 Ultra build that got me researching VLD bullets is still making it's way piece by piece to .308 Nate).

From what I've read though, the stuff about seating them at or into the lands is no BS... If you really want to shoot the Bergers, you probably will just want to give up on the mag and work your rifle as a single-shot so that you can seat at the depth they like -- or have the rifle modified with a mag that will accommodate the seating depth you need.

billywj,
When I first bought my 300 rum, a bdl, I played with the 180 SSt and RL 25. I got very good groups at 96 gr, rem brass, fed 215, OAl 3.600 When I shot very slowly letting the bbl cool after each shot, I shot as well as .25" 3 shot group at 100 yd. That said; this load was a little on the hot side for my tastes as I was getting speeds of 3390-3410. I didn't believe the SST was a tough enough bullet for my style of hunting so I pretty much abandoned the load. When I did work it up; it was in the hot summer months however so I doubt it would have shot so fast come Oct or Nov.

Well i dropped my gun off to the gunsmith to have a little more work done and he told me that
there is a company that makes a longer mag box but you have to a bit of work to get it to fit.
he said he would find out how good they work and let me no if it would be worth doing or not.

but thanks for the info guys

i'm haveing a wyatts mag installed in my 300 rum right now you might try the 200 ab behind 95 gr retumbo its really accurate in my rifle and is the go to load for alot of rum shooters on this forum will get between 3100 and 3200 fts

Yeah guys,

Install the Wyatts box. 4" OAL and controlled centerfeed. Much better than the stock unit in terms of allowed OAL and the controlled cenerfeed is much more reliable. But only 2 down instead of 3--who needs those anyway? :) Have to play with the wings a bit. I've found for my RUM, the 240 SMK likes being right on the lands as well. Have fun tinkering...

i'm haveing a wyatts mag installed in my 300 rum right now you might try the 200 ab behind 95 gr retumbo its really accurate in my rifle and is the go to load for alot of rum shooters on this forum will get between 3100 and 3200 fts

95 grains of Retumbo behind the 200 AccuBond is an excellent load..

Talked to the gun smith he is going to get me a mag box extender.
thanks for all your help

I'll let you no how it all turns out

Thanks again guys

i chrono my loads in august it was around 95 dg and they where running 3160 fps av. i haven't chrono them in the cooler months yet but have not notice a change in impact shooting in the winter. but heck it can be 80 dg here in south tx in dec or jan we might only get aweek or so of really cold weather below 40 all winter. but from what i've read on this site is that it is pretty stable

Your best money spent is on a wyatts extended box. Get the 4inch box the 3.850 will work but as you shoot your gun the throat will continue to grow beyond 3.850 and you will be chasing accuracy again. I had it done to my 300 ultra, groups went below one inch. I then had it glass beaded and it will shoot half inch groups all day.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.