300 RUM 230 gr target or tacticals?

mountaincarver

Ive been shooting the 230 grain hybrid targets from a 300 RUM for a while now. After seeing the corrected BCs from Berger I decided to try the OTM Tactical thinking that I wouldn't have to deal with the exceptionally long length of the targets if there was no real advantage In flight performance. today I shot both bullets to find they grouped the same at the same POI (300 yd test). I did see that the OTMs flew about 20 ft per second faster consistently (which is opposite of what most things I read on the internet suggested). Powder, seating depth from the lands, primers, all the same. looking for thoughts and opinions from others who have entertained this. which bullet makes sense to shoot if they both group the same, and both wont go in the mag anyway?

Ive been shooting the 230 grain hybrid targets from a 300 RUM for a while now. After seeing the corrected BCs from Berger I decided to try the OTM Tactical thinking that I wouldn't have to deal with the exceptionally long length of the targets if there was no real advantage In flight performance. today I shot both bullets to find they grouped the same at the same POI (300 yd test). I did see that the OTMs flew about 20 ft per second faster consistently (which is opposite of what most things I read on the internet suggested). Powder, seating depth from the lands, primers, all the same. looking for thoughts and opinions from others who have entertained this. which bullet makes sense to shoot if they both group the same, and both wont go in the mag anyway?

I'd be more inclined to run the target hybrid for hunting. The thinner jackets will open faster.

I run the target in my RUM. The target hits as hard or harder than the otm. The secret to expanding the target is hitting bone. I saw a otm in Oregon this year hit the rear end of a elk (not me:D) and liquify most of the meat but not hurt the bones. I've never lost a animal that I hit with the 230 target. It's safe to say that with either choice you need to hit bone. They hit hard....very hard!

I'd be more inclined to run the target hybrid for hunting. The thinner jackets will open faster.
brentc,
Actually our target bullet have thicker jackets as do the OTM bullets. Target because they usually get pushed faster and are most likely to be fired through a really hot barrel during string fire to combat bullet failure. The OTM because they are designed for military use and the Jag corp gets their panties in a wad over the words "hollow point". There are cases where out target bullets have been used on game (Broz is a great example of this with his success with the 215 Match Target Hybrid on elk, deer , ETC) but we do not recommend they be used on game due to their making a smaller wound channel and less destruction of the vitals than our VLD or CLASSIC HUNTER bullets. That all being said. You've read the results above and have been given some guidance in bullet placement. I also suggest you go to our website and print out the game targets under the HUNTING tab to see where we suggest bullet placement for the best result . And don't go shooting Elk in the hind end !!! lol !

brentc,
Actually our target bullet have thicker jackets as do the OTM bullets. Target because they usually get pushed faster and are most likely to be fired through a really hot barrel during string fire to combat bullet failure. The OTM because they are designed for military use and the Jag corp gets their panties in a wad over the words "hollow point". There are cases where out target bullets have been used on game (Broz is a great example of this with his success with the 215 Match Target Hybrid on elk, deer , ETC) but we do not recommend they be used on game due to their making a smaller wound channel and less destruction of the vitals than our VLD or CLASSIC HUNTER bullets. That all being said. You've read the results above and have been given some guidance in bullet placement. I also suggest you go to our website and print out the game targets under the HUNTING tab to see where we suggest bullet placement for the best result . And don't go shooting Elk in the hind end !!! lol !

Hmmm. So the OTM Tacs share the same jacket thickness as the hybrid targets? If that is the case, it's not commonly understood.

Hmmm. So the OTM Tacs share the same jacket thickness as the hybrid targets? If that is the case, it's not commonly understood.
brentc,
Yes sir. It may be partially our fault by not making that more clear. OTM and target bullets have slightly thicker jackets. But load testing on a VLD target bullet, will in most cases, work with a VLD hunting bullet of the same weight. Same for the 338 OTM and Hunter Elite bullets. Also because of the thicker jacket resulting in a slightly bigger meplat there MAY be slightly different BC s between the Hunting and target bullets also .

I've had multiple kills with the OTM's in my 300 rum. The wound channels are impressive. I have never recovered a bullet out to 960 yards. All pass through and destroy the lungs. I've had multiple shots through both shoulders and still no recovery. No animal made it more than 20 yards from the shot.

I've had multiple kills with the OTM's in my 300 rum. The wound channels are impressive. I have never recovered a bullet out to 960 yards. All pass through and destroy the lungs. I've had multiple shots through both shoulders and still no recovery. No animal made it more than 20 yards from the shot.
dodgefreak,
Good to know sir! Will pass this on up the chain. Thanks !

Thanks gentlemen for the reply. My 15 year old daughter made a 576 yard shot this year on a bull. using the 230 target, she put it through the front shoulder. dropped the bull. when I was done hugging her and being a very proud dad, we hiked across the canyon to find her first bull laying where he was last standing. the bullet busted through the front shoulder and did not exit. the insides were slosh. anyway, since then, I ran a few OTMs through the gun (I like to tinker). as I mentioned before, the groups were about the same. now I have not done an extensive load test or seating depth test to see which one really has the edge.... I have to wonder if the OTM would be technically better with my 1 in 10 twist. I plan on shooting more but just thought in the mean time I would see if anyone had come to a conclusion between the two in their rifles. again, thanks for your input. Ive really been pondering the 215 also.... that form factor looks pretty good.

All the advice and information you've received earlier is great and I agree with most of it. But let me present an alternative choice....

Rather than shoot the 230grain bullets (either the hybrid or the OTM), consider the 208Amax, 210VLD and 215hybrid. Because you can run them faster than the 230, when the range is inside ~1200 yards, the lighter, faster bullet actually outperforms the 230grainers in drift and drop. Now, get past 1200 and the higher BC of the 230 starts to shine.

Although I can and have shot http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/ out to a mile, I would not take such a shot on game at that distance. As a result, rather than shoot the 230s, I chose the 208Amax.

Just something to consider.

Thanks gentlemen for the reply. My 15 year old daughter made a 576 yard shot this year on a bull. using the 230 target, she put it through the front shoulder. dropped the bull. when I was done hugging her and being a very proud dad, we hiked across the canyon to find her first bull laying where he was last standing. the bullet busted through the front shoulder and did not exit. the insides were slosh. anyway, since then, I ran a few OTMs through the gun (I like to tinker). as I mentioned before, the groups were about the same. now I have not done an extensive load test or seating depth test to see which one really has the edge.... I have to wonder if the OTM would be technically better with my 1 in 10 twist. I plan on shooting more but just thought in the mean time I would see if anyone had come to a conclusion between the two in their rifles. again, thanks for your input. Ive really been pondering the 215 also.... that form factor looks pretty good.
mountaincarver,
You have quite a daughter there sir! Go to our website ( it should be back up Thursday 11/26/15. Our apologies for this inconvenience) and put your information with pictures if you have any in our "Success stories". The 230 grain Hybrid target (#30430) calls for a 1-11 minimum twist rate and an optimal twist rate of 1-9.5. The 230 OTM (#30112) calls for a 1-11 minimum twist rate and an optimal twist rate of 1-10.1. Go to our website ( when its back up) and run your data on our twist rate calculator to see what your actual stability factor (SG) is with these bullets. Be sure to enter in the correct or as close to correct altitude you are at or hunting at. The National Weather Service WEBSITE and a zip code can help with this. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us at [email protected]. Congratulations again to your daughter for her great accomplishment! Have a great and Happy Thanksgiving!

barefooter56, thanks, ill do that.

trebark, I agree with that thinking and I went down that road shooting the 208 and the 210. you know, I shot the hell out of that gun with ok results, but it wasn't till I started shooting the 230s with H50 that I had the accuracy I was looking for. then again, my gun never performed as well or the same as everyone elses that I had been reading about. If I could get the accuracy with the lighter bullets at the speeds that would ballistically give them an advantage, I would have settled on those. I have some friends that shoot bullets in those weights, and they say they are way awesome on target. mine never was. at the same time I wonder how my choice of bullet and powder would do in their rifles. anyway, kind of interesting and fun hobby.

barefooter56, thanks, ill do that.

trebark, I agree with that thinking and I went down that road shooting the 208 and the 210. you know, I shot the hell out of that gun with ok results, but it wasn't till I started shooting the 230s with H50 that I had the accuracy I was looking for. then again, my gun never performed as well or the same as everyone elses that I had been reading about. If I could get the accuracy with the lighter bullets at the speeds that would ballistically give them an advantage, I would have settled on those. I have some friends that shoot bullets in those weights, and they say they are way awesome on target. mine never was. at the same time I wonder how my choice of bullet and powder would do in their rifles. anyway, kind of interesting and fun hobby.

Good to hear you've gone through a well planned progression that has lead you to the 230s. They sound like a 'nice alternative' :D to what could be a ballistically superior load (if you could get the accuracy).