Review-Berger 230 gr Target Terminal Performance

I just finish load testing with my custom 300 rum. 103.3 grains of 33 with the 230. Coal is 3.98 shooting through a 27.5 inch tube. I'm getting 3200 fps. Have you tried 33 yet?

I just finish load testing with my custom 300 rum. 103.3 grains of 33 with the 230. Coal is 3.98 shooting through a 27.5 inch tube. I'm getting 3200 fps. Have you tried 33 yet?

I haven't. I would really like to though. Kinda scarce in my parts to find any. From your velocity, I should definitely try to find some!

RL-33 is in stock right now at powdervalleyinc.com. Both 1lb and 8lb containers when u checked earlier this morning.

that is great news you're getting 3200 with the 230 I finally just got my hands on a bunch of 230 targets. going to be using out of my war bird. Was just trying to guess on mv with them from the 210 Vlds I'm getting 3550 fps now was hoping for atleast 3200

3550 is nothing to shake a stick at. That is very good velocity. What length is your barrel on your warbird?

Hopefully with enough feedback some of the folks at Berger read the real world results and come out with a 230 gr hunting version. One would assume thicker jackets would be harder to open up. I'm just curious. Did the bullet on your first shot on the second elk not open at all?

If there was a 230 gr hunting version, I woulder if a shot identical to your first bull would have made any difference. I would think a hunting version bullet would come apart even easier when hitting large bone than a thicker jacket version.

My experience thus far matches yours, albeit with 7mm 180 Target Hybrid out of the STW cartridge. I fully agree with the assessment of the jacket thickness and needing to hit bone to start expansion. I believe that Berger will step up to the plate once things slow down and you will see the Elite Hunter line in all the popular caliber/weight combo's. From my understanding the Elite Hunter is basically a Target Hybrid with a hunting bullet jacket thickness.

Also I wouldnt be surprised at all if in 10 years the VLD bullet is a thing of the past. Hybrids are less sensitive and have better BC's than their same weight class counterparts.

From my understanding the Elite Hunter is basically a Target Hybrid with a hunting bullet jacket thickness.

Also I wouldnt be surprised at all if in 10 years the VLD bullet is a thing of the past. Hybrids are less sensitive and have better BC's than their same weight class counterparts.

It sounds like various Hunting Hybrids are in the plans. Hopefully along with a 195gr 7mm HH.

The 140gr for my 6.5x284 is the only VLD I still shoot. Other than that VLD's are already a thing of the past in my reloading room.

3550 is nothing to shake a stick at. That is very good velocity. What length is your barrel on your warbird?

29" plus break its only a 1:12 twist wasnt sure if I was gonna be able to handle the 210 to stabilize but then again wasn't expecting 3550 fps either :D

So hopefully I'll only drop a couple hundred fps and still be able to stabilize the 230 targets

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.