300 r.u.m. to 338 edge

asa

My local smith suggested that I convert my model 700 300 rum to a 338 edge
I have read quite a bit about them on this site.
I have a few questions for the experts
#1 how do you form the brass
#2 what length and weight of barrel
#3 what distance is this cartridge capable of on deer, elk

300 to 338

my goal is to shoot accuratley at 1000yds.(targets) If I can get a handle on that then I will move to varmits and then on to big game. I am a hunter first off and would not build a gun to only shoot targets, thats why Iam interested in the bigger rounds. hope this helps

If I were you I would see how the 300 shoots before I forked out mo' money. That being said, I have a 338Edge. It has a heavy 30" Lilja. All you have to do is neck the 300 cases up to 338 by running it through your Edge die...done. I would shoot just about anything that walks out to 1000yards with the 300SMK. My 625yard gong behind the house is almost boring!

i was shooting my edge today and as much as i love that cartridge, i would agree with bravo. i'm guessing you don't have much long range experience. that 300 ultra is also one heck of a long range round. learn all the regular stuff and wear the barrel out on it before you rebarrel and put a bunch of money into it.

thanks guys

You guys are correct been shooting for a long time but no real long range stuff. The gun has a 6.5 x 20 x 50 ziess , harris bypod . factory stock

G'day mate !

The 300 ultra is a really potent round, and I too agree with what the others suggest, but if you have your heart set on the edge, just go get it. Buy a gun for yourself, not anyone else. You will be the one shooting it in the end ?

Cheers

I build as many Edge's as anyone (probably more) and love them but agree with the guys. If you are just getting going try the 300 out first before you build. This will allow a few things besides learning long range. It will allow you to see what issue you run into and maybe what configuration you like or don't. This is all desirable info before you build so you get what you need the first time.

My 2 cents

Went to one of Shawn Carlocks long range classes a couple of years ago with a .308 win. Shot with some other .308's, a 300 RUM, and a couple of 338 Edges. By the end of the class I made my mind up to get a 300 RUM. My reasoning was more practical than anything else. I like a factory round. Have been putting a 300RUM together since. Once I get the scope on it I will be off and running. The 300RUM will do anything I should be faced with at this point in my long range shooting. THat all being said, the 338EDGE is an outstanding round and one worth considering. Well thats my 2 cents. :)

338 edge ackley improved

I was going to stay with the 300 rum for now. I contacted Joel and had a A5L stock built. I then talk to Rick at alberta tactical to install a muzzle brake. After some lenghty discussions with him I decided to go all out and have him build me a .338 edge A.I.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts