300 PRC OAL?

Lonewolf74

I'm putting parts together for a build that originally was gonna be a mid weight 300 WM but I'm starting to think maybe I'll go PRC.

Anyway I'd like to know what overall length you guy's are typically running with the long high bc bullets such as Berger 230's, 245's or the Badlands Super Bulldozer 205?

Is the CFE 12 kit with an internal length of 3.830" plenty of room for most long bullets out or would longer be beneficial?

Thanks for the help
Joshua

I'm putting parts together for a build that originally was gonna be a mid weight 300 WM but I'm starting to think maybe I'll go PRC.

Anyway I'd like to know what overall length you guy's are typically running with the long high bc bullets such as Berger 230's, 245's or the Badlands Super Bulldozer 205?

Is the CFE 12 kit with an internal length of 3.830" plenty of room for most long bullets out or would longer be beneficial?

Thanks for the help
Joshua
Joshua,

The SAAMI spec for .300 PRC OAL is 3.575-3.700" (3.830" - 3.700" = .130"), so the short answer to both of your questions is yes. Is the .130" enough? This is where it gets complicated. Be prepared to get inundated. Good luck with your project build.

Here is a good short read, https://www.longrangeonly.com/300-prc/

Ed

Copper Creek 245 Berger EOL in 300 PRC is loaded to 3.685" COAL.

Screenshot_20230210_080252_Chrome.jpg

Thank you for the info so far guy's.

Guess I should have stated my question a little more in depth.

Has anyone found it necessary to throat the chamber differently from SAAMI spec to put the 230 and 245 grain Berger at a proper seating depth (boat tail to bearing surface junction not below case neck to shoulder junction)?

When the bullet is seated to this proper depth what has your OAL been?

Looking at the data from the LRO link the longest OAL on a custom throated chamber was 3.816 with the 245 Berger. Has anyone ever seen a need to seat longer then this?

The badlands 205gr SBD2 jams the lands in my 300 PRC at 3.880". I've been doing load development at COAL of 3.830" and planning to single feed. Pretty similar cartridge length for the ELD-M 225. All the other lighter bullets I've tried I have been able to keep under 3.7" without seating bullets past neck/shoulder junction. I like how the ELD-M 225 has been performing so far, but plan to use that as a target load and hunt with the badlands 205 or 195.

Recent Posts