300 Norma Improved load help

Using all that rl33, are you keeping up on cleaning the carbon out of it? Not just the loose stuff, the deep caked on deposits that like to show themselves with these rifles and powders like that.
Quicksilver must have a teslong….. he's right - those grooves will pack with carbon in 10-20 shots. Nylon brushes will kill ya.

Using all that rl33, are you keeping up on cleaning the carbon out of it? Not just the loose stuff, the deep caked on deposits that like to show themselves with these rifles and powders like that.
Tell me about it…it's the dirtiest stuff I've ever seen. I try to clean about every 30 rounds with C4. All I've ever done is follow the suggested cleaning steps on the bottle and it seems to work well. The first few patches come out black as night, but after letting it soak for 15-20 min I only need 5-10 more patches to get them coming out white.

I don't know the answer, but there are different levels of clean that you may or may not want to reach. Without agresssive use of a stiff (proshot) bronze brush you are likely building up a layer of carbon in the lands and possibly throat. But many records have been set with bores like that. But the buildup could alter your loads too. Everyone without a borescope will let it go.
Getting it all out is nice, but you may be needlessly overcleaning your barrel. Im not sure there is a concensus on how much to clean. Just be aware that white patches doesn't mean the carbon is gone.

I don't know the answer, but there are different levels of clean that you may or may not want to reach. Without agresssive use of a stiff (proshot) bronze brush you are likely building up a layer of carbon in the lands and possibly throat. But many records have been set with bores like that. But the buildup could alter your loads too. Everyone without a borescope will let it go.
Getting it all out is nice, but you may be needlessly overcleaning your barrel. Im not sure there is a concensus on how much to clean. Just be aware that white patches doesn't mean the carbon is gone.
Completely agree. I'm not seeing any weird pressure spikes or anything that would indicate a carbon ring, but I guess that doesn't mean one isn't starting to form. Probably should get a borescope, but I'm afraid if I got one I'd never be able to quit cleaning…

Recent Posts