Hammer bullets 300 Norma Improved

gearguywb

Searched both here and on Hammer's web site without finding anything.

I have a Pierce 300 Norma Improved that I really like. Shoots phenomenally with Berger 215/230's.

Not sure I am a big fan of the Berger performance on large game (think elk). Would like to experiment this off season with a couple of other bullets.

Picked up some Hornady ELDX, and would like to try some Hammers.

Any suggestions for loads, bullet weight, etc.?

Thanks!

I'm with you on the Berger performance. I gave them a try in a new 7 Max (the 180 VLD flying about 3000 FPS) for elk hunting this year. Shot great on paper but the performance on game was not impressive at all. I realize elk are very tough, this was my 10th bull, and by far the least impressive bullet performance I have seen. I'll be switching over to hammers on my next elk hunt. I've been shooting the hammers on whitetail out of several different rifles (5 bucks so far) and recently on hogs (3). Most have been dead on impact, 2 made it about 40 yards on broadside double lung shots, all hits resulted in pass through.

For elk, I'd recommend the hammer hunter line of bullets. Check out the thread in the reloading section on hammer hunter loads, there's a pdf file you can download with a lot of great load info that should get you to a starting point. I'd think about going a little lighter in weight than you're accustomed to (somewhere between 166 and 199), and drive it a lot faster. The hammers are easy to tune and not too sensitive to seating depth.

I'd also suggest checking out the hammer terminal performance thread. Lots of good info there.

You can also just call Steve, one of the Owners of hammer, he'll actually pick up the phone and is very helpful with suggestions on load development.

If you have a 9 twist barrel....

I have the 199s shooting lights out in two 300 prcs. The 199s are similar size and shape of the 215 berger.

I'm 5 for 5 with the 199s on 4 deer and one huge hog. Performance has been great. Awesome destruction of vitals and great penetration. Expansion has been good on broadside lung shots and great on quartering shots.

I'm at 3100fps in 26 inch barrels. Was using RL26, but now using N570 for complete case fill at same speed.

Any powder in that h100- retumbo-n565-n570 should do well in the norma.

Broadside doe at 350. Only ribs on other side entry. This is exit.

Screenshot_20211211-071106_Gallery.jpg

Quartering towards me buck hit in front of shoulder. This is exit with good petal "spread". Other petals went out bottom of deer. Death run 40 yards easy blood trail.
Screenshot_20211211-071202_Gallery.jpg