300 fireball????

ultratec1

Hey guys, this is my first time posting so I figured I would throw out a real good question.

I recently obtained a 300 fireball 10" barrel, the thing is when I research this caliber it doesn't come up with squat on what this caliber is. I have seen some things saying that it is a 300 whisper but some other threads saying it isn't.

Also can anyone tell me if it can be re-barreled to 300blk out.

Thanks

Hey guys, this is my first time posting so I figured I would throw out a real good question.

I recently obtained a 300 fireball 10" barrel, the thing is when I research this caliber it doesn't come up with squat on what this caliber is. I have seen some things saying that it is a 300 whisper but some other threads saying it isn't.

Also can anyone tell me if it can be re-barreled to 300blk out.

Thanks
.300 Fireball, .300 Whisper, .300-221, .300 Blackout, 7.62x35mm are all pretty much the same caliber. So yes and no about having it rechambered.

Here's why... They're all based off the .221 Fireball case, except the .300 Blackout. It's dimensions were the exact same, but because it was developed from cut-down .223/5.56 brass, the neck walls are thicker than the other chamberings. So you don't necessarily need to rechamber it, just have your gunsmith run a new SAAMI spec reamer down it to make sure the throat is opened up to accept .300 Blackout brass with the thicker neck walls.

And also, if you have a 10" barrel...I hope you're not planning on using that on a rifle, unless you have a registered SBR lower...

Nope not using it on a rifle, it will go on a AR pistol, and the only reason that I have the barrel is I got it from someone who traded a bunch of AR parts for a lee turret press.

Thank you very much for the information, that is probably the best answer I have gotten out of all the forums I have asked it on. Now I just have to find a gunsmith in Iowa that will check the chamber for me:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.