30 nosler velocity

Do you need another 150-200 fps? No. Flat no. But if it were me I would pressure it up and see what it does. I am faster than your 30N running over 2900 with a 300WM and 212 ELDX, loading to 3.600 using RL26...... H4831SC runs close to 2900 at 3.600 in my 300WM rifle..... These loads are safe in my rifle and WW brass lasts 10-12 loadings. Personally I would find the top and run in the upper node, I have always had better results loading near top pressure and higher loading density. By better I mean more consistent day in and day out, more forgiving of atmospheric changes, and accuracy that meets or beats the low node and usually beats it at long range by a good bit. Also, I didn't buy a 300 WM to run 30-06 ballistics, or a 300 RUM to run 300WM ballistics, I want to run the cartridge in the design window.

Out of curiosity, did you shoot any additional groups with the 76.0 gr and 80.0 gr loads to see if your OCW groups were representative of what a particular charge weight will do? I know that group size is not the only factor you are looking at, but had I shot the first two shots in your 80.0 gr group, I could have easily pulled that third shot a bit.
I have not proofed either of the loads but I think what I'm going to do is load the 80 back up and continue up until I find pressure like a lot have suggested and hope the higher node continues to improve. Some have also said that my 76 node looks pretty narrow and may be hard to stay in it which I agree with so I'll probably keep that one on the back burner and chase it up to pressure.

That 212 has great aero's and using it at 2700 it worked like a champ for me. If you're getting 1/2 MOA and you like how it's shooting, I'd doubt you're missing a thing, and it won't hurt nothing to have that bullet start a touch slower if you do get a closer shot. The ELD's seem to be awesome bullets if impacts are less than 2800 FPS from my little experience with them.

Looks like you need another test. I wouldn't trust a 0.46" group right between 1" groups with less than 1/2 a grain difference. That's not a forgiving node if it is one. From your groups, I might try 77.5 and up.

I found the 212 eldx performs very well around that 2880 mark. I used them in a 300 win mag rl 26 shot great and wonderful results. I had it up around 2970 but the accuracy fell off a touch and decided to run it at the slower node.

I also have a 30 nosler that I don't get the best speeds either but I did have to send chamber back to get polished had some rough marks on brass. But 30 nosler is a great design and I love the case that you can run slower or hot rod it.

Looks like you need another test. I wouldn't trust a 0.46" group right between 1" groups with less than 1/2 a grain difference. That's not a forgiving node if it is one. From your groups, I might try 77.5 and up.
Totally agree. One three shot group under 1/2 MOA can easily happen by chance. Hang that same target and shoot it again. My guess is the six shot group won't be close to 1/2 MOA, but if it is, I would not fret about velocity - an accurate load has more allowable wind drift error than one that is faster but less accurate. If that rifle can shoot 1/2 MOA at 800 yards, your group is 4" which means you are not going to hit a 10" target100% of the time unless you can estimate wind within 1 mph. A .94 MOA rifle at 2960 has an allowable error of just over 1/2 mph. Velocity doesn't help if accuracy suffers.

The best part about load development is that when you find a accurate load that isn't quite what you want you can keep looking and always come back to it. I would lean on the pressure a little more and see what you can find. It looks like you might be on the edge of the next node and its worth a look and you can also try to tune your seating depth with that charge weight.

I recently had a 22" barreled nosler with a +P chamber built. I got decent accuracy (about 1/2 moa) at 3100 fps and a 208gr Berger but the rifle definitely liked a lower node at 3000fps and grouped likely better than I am able to shoot it. I will add that I discovered while shooting in this heat the rifle will stack the first 2 shots and throw the 3rd if I don't let the rifle cool in the truck AC. That might be also something to think about.

So I did a ocw test and seem to have found a really good node I'm shouting 212 eldx with h1000 out of a 26"proof. My question is is my velocity to slow for what the gun is or am I overthinking the velocity aspect of long rang shooting. I'm at 76 gr h1000 @ 2810fps and an es of 9, it's sub 1/2 moa. I think there's another node up around 80 @2970 but didn't seem to be as good as the 76. So do I need the 150fps with this rifle? It's going to be my main hunting rifle and will be use out to probably 800 yards max for my abilities as of right now.
Thanks!
As a hunter, accuracy has been more important to me than optimal velocity.

Yeah I agree with the majority on here that I need to keep going up in pressure and the 76 node is pretty narrow so im going to load up a few more and see how the higher node develops and if I start to see any pressure up near 82-83.

This is a really great thread so THANK YOU JD. Since I am in the beginning stages of Load Development for a Mark V 300 Weatherby Mag, / 26 inch Factory BBL Mag na Ported/ 180 Grn. Partition / or 190 Grn Accubond for a Future Elk Hunting Load , all information is EXTREMLY important to me. I'm Going to begin by having two goals to start off with, #1 I expect a three shot 100 yard Group to be 1 MOA, and #2 I am hopping for 3000FPS. I expect all my shots to be between 200 and 400 yards. My powder of choice will be H 4831SC, with Federal 215 ,and I expect the most accurate load will occur some where about 75.0 / 77.0 Grns. I am not looking for 3100 or 3200 fps and I will not accept any signs of pressure and will back off at the first sign. Man Your rifle loves 78 and 79 Grns of H1000. Very Impressive!!!!

I think it's hilarious that pretty much everybody will concur that it is better to have an accurate load that is 150-200 fps below the capability of a specific cartridge, but freak out and can't understand when someone puts a shorter barrel on a magnum cartridge, essentially cutting 150 fps off the 26" potential of the cartridge lol

Anyway, just a comical general observation, not pointed at any specific person. Carry on with the regularly scheduled programming!

Last edited:
I think it's hilarious that pretty much everybody will concur that it is better to have a load that is 150-200 fps below the capability of a specific cartridge, but freak out and can't understand when someone puts a shorter barrel on a magnum cartridge, essentially cutting 150 fps off the 26" potential of the cartridge lol

Anyway, just a comical general observation, not pointed at any specific person. Carry on with the regularly scheduled programming!
Haha yeah isn't that the truth. But I was always told have at least 26 inch barrel for magnum but you are showing great results in a 20 inch. I think you might be out running my 30 inch barrel haha I had chamber issues but still impressive

Haha yeah isn't that the truth. But I was always told have at least 26 inch barrel for magnum but you are showing great results in a 20 inch. I think you might be out running my 30 inch barrel haha I had chamber issues but still impressive
All I can say is Dallas at LPR knows his way around a 30 nosler, that combined with the perfection of a Bat action really does the trick!