30 nosler velocity

JD250

So I did a ocw test and seem to have found a really good node I'm shouting 212 eldx with h1000 out of a 26"proof. My question is is my velocity to slow for what the gun is or am I overthinking the velocity aspect of long rang shooting. I'm at 76 gr h1000 @ 2810fps and an es of 9, it's sub 1/2 moa. I think there's another node up around 80 @2970 but didn't seem to be as good as the 76. So do I need the 150fps with this rifle? It's going to be my main hunting rifle and will be use out to probably 800 yards max for my abilities as of right now.
Thanks!

The best I can figure your 2810fps load still has about 1825 fps and 1530 ft lbs of energy at 800 yds. From a killing standpoint your good to go with that eldx.
Your time of flight with the slower load makes the bullet more vulnerable to wind, and other environmental effects.
Your shooting it at sub 1/2 MOA!!!! That's great shooting.
Assuming your cases are expanding enough and are sealing and not coming out really full of soot I wouldn't change a thing..
Brass and Barrel life should be a bit better too. Win, win, win!
IMHO

Here are my results from my ocw test for reference for you guys…
E5E85F2C-A508-4683-9A47-E5FB9415BA90.jpeg

Did you ever find pressure signs? If not, keep going until you find it, just go slow and be careful, there may be yet another node further up. If you are at pressure though, then I guess your done....

I have a .215" throat in my .30 nosler on a Bat action, so I don't recommend this as standard load data at all, I don't see most 30 noslers get to these charges, but with only a 20" barrel (bartlien carbon), I ran a 215 Berger with 88.2 grains of retumbo at 2993 avg, in the same piece of ADG brass, for 9 fireings before I lost my primer pocket....my current accuracy load is a 208 LRHT @ 2930 with H1000, I didn't hit pressure signs until about 3000 fps, which was what I would have called about max useable charge. There was another node there, but it wasn't quite as accurate as the 2930 node. The 2930 is using 85 grains of H1000.....I also did a pressure work up with Retumbo and the 212 eld-x when the gun was new and I wasn't sure what to expect, I ran up to 84 grains of Retumbo, which was going 2846, and zero pressure signs, I could have gone way more. H1k is usually about 1.5-3 grains behind Retumbo in these bigger cases for similar pressure.

However, if you have saami spec throat, that makes a noteable difference. Also, in personal observations, two of the last three proof barrels I have loaded for failed to get up to what I would call "standard" velocity for a given cartridge combination. One 300 wsm, and one 7 max. I have heard this echoed by quite a few people as well, their barrels seem to be slow on average for some reason, maybe tight bores? My experience and the people I have heard it from say they have shot well, but have been 100-200 fps slower than they really should be after break in. Standard chamber with a possible slow barrel may very well put you there, but even so, 2810 with a 212 is still sufficient for a long ways out. Granted it is near 300 wsm performance, however a 300 wsm kills very well. Accuracy is more important. Your other option would be to try a powder like N570 or RL 33 if you want the speed, that would add 100-150ish, maybe more, for a given pressure.

The other thing I just noticed, your lower charge on your ocw test is a very, very narrow window. Sometimes (often times actually) that means a false positive, and doesn'talways repeat. Where as, you had 9 rounds that grouped .77" or less, from 79-80 grains. 80 grains tightened up, and e.s. calmed down to 18 fps. Personally if it were me, and your not leaning on pressure at 80, I would keep going up more and see if it tightens down, or at least to where you find pressure or where groups blow back out. Then once you find where it wants to be, load in the middle of the range and tweak seating depth to tune the load.

Did you ever find pressure signs? If not, keep going until you find it, just go slow and be careful, there may be yet another node further up. If you are at pressure though, then I guess your done....

I have a .215" throat in my .30 nosler on a Bat action, so I don't recommend this as standard load data at all, I don't see most 30 noslers get to these charges, but with only a 20" barrel (bartlien carbon), I ran a 215 Berger with 88.2 grains of retumbo at 2993 avg, in the same piece of ADG brass, for 9 fireings before I lost my primer pocket....my current accuracy load is a 208 LRHT @ 2930 with H1000, I didn't hit pressure signs until about 3000 fps, which was what I would have called about max useable charge. There was another node there, but it wasn't quite as accurate as the 2930 node. The 2930 is using 85 grains of H1000.....I also did a pressure work up with Retumbo and the 212 eld-x when the gun was new and I wasn't sure what to expect, I ran up to 84 grains of Retumbo, which was going 2846, and zero pressure signs, I could have gone way more. H1k is usually about 1.5-3 grains behind Retumbo in these bigger cases for similar pressure.

However, if you have saami spec throat, that makes a noteable difference. Also, in personal observations, two of the last three proof barrels I have loaded for failed to get up to what I would call "standard" velocity for a given cartridge combination. One 300 wsm, and one 7 max. I have heard this echoed by quite a few people as well, their barrels seem to be slow on average for some reason, maybe tight bores? My experience and the people I have heard it from say they have shot well, but have been 100-200 fps slower than they really should be after break in. Standard chamber with a possible slow barrel may very well put you there, but even so, 2810 with a 212 is still sufficient for a long ways out. Granted it is near 300 wsm performance, however a 300 wsm kills very well. Accuracy is more important. Your other option would be to try a powder like N570 or RL 33 if you want the speed, that would add 100-150ish, maybe more, for a given pressure.
great info here. I am having a 30N built by APR and plan on using ADG Brass and the 215's w/ H1000. It has the SAMMI spec'd and a proof - so odds are it will be on the slower side of velocity, but I bet it will be a tack driver.

The other thing I just noticed, your lower charge on your ocw test is a very, very narrow window. Sometimes (often times actually) that means a false positive, and doesn'talways repeat. Where as, you had 9 rounds that grouped .77" or less, from 79-80 grains. 80 grains tightened up, and e.s. calmed down to 18 fps. Personally if it were me, and your not leaning on pressure at 80, I would keep going up more and see if it tightens down, or at least to where you find pressure or where groups blow back out. Then once you find where it wants to be, load in the middle of the range and tweak seating depth to tune the load.
Thanks for your input! I was thinking the same thing you are with working up higher because I have no pressure signs at all I just loaded to 80 because nosler book showed 79 as max with a 210 bullet so just played it safe. But I think I will load up to 82-83 and see if that node continues or get better/worse. I tried retumbo in my first load development and it did not seem to like it near as much as the h1000.

NO YOU DO NOT NEED 150 FPS, all YOU need is to place that bullet in the right spot, more than enough. And despite what some of these eye socket shooters at 850 yards on here tell you your load will handle any game if you make the hit. All it takes to make up for the velocity difference us a couple of clicks on the scope...

So I did a ocw test and seem to have found a really good node I'm shouting 212 eldx with h1000 out of a 26"proof. My question is is my velocity to slow for what the gun is or am I overthinking the velocity aspect of long rang shooting. I'm at 76 gr h1000 @ 2810fps and an es of 9, it's sub 1/2 moa. I think there's another node up around 80 @2970 but didn't seem to be as good as the 76. So do I need the 150fps with this rifle? It's going to be my main hunting rifle and will be use out to probably 800 yards max for my abilities as of right now.
Thanks!
You sound like me and thank you for giving me the answer I probably needed for most uses with my rifle. I found accuracy at 2950. Excellent accuracy as in one hole less than .2 at 100. I went up 2 grains and gained over 240 fps and lost a little accuracy. My dilemma was leave it at 2950 which is very slow for the cartridge or step up to 3200 and lose .25-.30 accuracy. Being a hunter I can settle on .3-.4" groups easily rather than .1-.2. It's my nature to stay with the best groups tho. I'll probably stick with 2950 here and out west go with the flatter .3" accuracy foe much longer shots. You'll have to answer that 150fps question yourself. Do you need it ? What range and what animal will you be hunting ? That should answer the question.

Here are my results from my ocw test for reference for you guys…View attachment 391324
Out of curiosity, did you shoot any additional groups with the 76.0 gr and 80.0 gr loads to see if your OCW groups were representative of what a particular charge weight will do? I know that group size is not the only factor you are looking at, but had I shot the first two shots in your 80.0 gr group, I could have easily pulled that third shot a bit.