30-378 starting load using N570

Load them like the Retumbo reloading tables have. Of course be safe and start below max........

My advice on 30-378 because the barrels and cases don't last very long. I went through a couple of barrels 28 inch barrels 1: 9 twist and lots of cases. Where they really shine is the ability to shoot the heaviest highest BC 30 cal pills. So I concentrated all my efforts into 200 - 240 grain. The accubond 210 LR was a good hunting round. I loaned my rifle to lots of people doing out of state Elk hunts. US 869 was my go to powder. Hornady ELD-X 220 gr. and 240 sierra were good.

Last edited:
My advice on 30-378 because the barrels and cases don't last very long. I went through a couple of barrels 28 inch barrels 1: 9 twist and lots of cases. Where they really shine is the ability to shoot the heaviest highest BC 30 cal pills. So I concentrated all my efforts into 200 - 240 grain. The accubond 210 LR was a good hunting round. I loaned my rifle to lots of people doing out of state Elk hunts. US 869 was my go to powder. Hornady ELD-X 220 gr. and 240 sierra were good.

ifle[/URL]
Bud, I realize I'm coming in way late on this, but would you care to share more about this. I am just getting started reloading and bought a .30-378. I am planning to reload with the 220gr ELD-X and bought 8lbs of US869 because it was available and anything is hard to come by right now. I am shooting a stock Weatherby Mark V in the Accumark Pro, so 26" barrel and 1:10 twist, so I know it will be different, but would you mind sharing your load data and speeds you were getting for those 220gr ELD-X?

My advice is go to the hodgdon reloading. It is all very close to actual chronograph readings that I got. Just a different bullet manufacturer even being the same weight will have different FPS. I was also tumble moly coating my pills. I actually sold everything a long time ago with about 500 cases, die sets, and all my group and chrono data.

The best accuracy was always 2-4 grains below the max listed. I started out using retumbo and ruined some cases ladder testing at over the listed. the longer barrel kept the velocity up and group size down.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.