30-06 convert!

zigliss

Fired a friend's 30-06 WW2 Springfield over the weekend and all I can say is that I am an instant convert!

What a lovely round - nice steady push rather than the sharper 'shove' of the 308Win and the rifle itself was marvellous. Something else I need to save up for now:D

I expect that comfortable push is becaue the 30-06 Springfield rifle is heavier than your 308 Win rifle. My 26 lb 50 BMG sporter gives a gentle (but long) push too. It's also less sharp or painful than my 5 lb 308 Win Remington 600.

I like the 30-06 too. The first 30-06 rifle I shot was a Springfield M1 Garand in college ROTC in 1964. Later I got my own through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). Fond memories...

Not sure about that Lou! The Springfield was an honest to goodness military rifle with open sights. My 308 is a Steyr SSG p2 with the usual stuff - Kahles scope; bipod; etc - as is my Parker Hale M87. The 30-06 just feels like a 'smoother' (if that is the word) experience.

Would love to have a pop with a 50 but the **** things are rarer than hens teeth here on account of there being very few places to shoot em! Then we are looking at close to $5 per round! I would imagine being up in the hills of Arizona that open ground isn't something you are short of!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.