30-06 165 Accubond. How slow to still RELIABLY expand?

entoptics

Working on a general purpose load for a buddy, who's not likely to be burning millions of rounds in his Pre-64 M70 30-06. I'd like to get one load for him, that will do all he needs. Perhaps 2 loads, but I'd like to avoid all the development that would require.

As usual though, he's got slightly conflicting needs.

1) Elk at less than 400 yds. We both agree that the '06 doesn't have the poop for him to be comfortable trying for any longer shots on a burly ungulate.

2) Deer at 500 plus yds. We hunt the wheat fields, and he's a pretty good shooter. It's not uncommon to have a good shot at 500 yds. Problem is, though there's plenty of horsepower, the '06 is running low on expansion velocity at that range.

I'm debating the 165 Accubond as a compromise. It's got plenty of freight to smoke an elk at 400 yds, plenty tough for the far more likely 100 yd shot, and it's still going around 2000 fps at 500.

Question is, as tough as they are, is 2000 fps fast enough for reliable expansion on light game like deer?
I know Nosler quotes 1800, but I'd prefer to see some tests, or at least get opinions from folks that have seen it with their own eyes.

My other thought was to just run 168 ELDM for deer, and 180 Accubond or 178 ELDX for elk. Hoping to avoid the time/cost of developing 2 loads though.

165 AB will do anything you want pretty much for those distances......just load imr4350 start at about 54-55 grains and use chrono to work up to 2800 fps (should be at about 57 grains) which is as good a load as ever been! Nothing deficient about this load at all....... been using it a long time.

At 400 yds speed will be 2057
At 500 yds speed will be 1892

Now you can use H4350 @ 58-59 grains (if can find) with the same 165AB and easily get to MV of 2900fps which will up your speed and energy both at these distances a tad more.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.