3 season tents NOT suitable for fall hunting

Litehiker

As a word of caution let me say that there are some tents unsuitable for fall hunting where a snow storm could be a possibility.

Namely any tents with a single wall but with netting along the top the floor "wall" and extending to the fly. This design to promote ventilation will admit blowing snow and there is nothing you can do about it including building a low wall of snow around the tent.

But there are some ultra light Dyneema fabric tents that will be OK in a windy snowstorm, tents for example, like the Tarptent Notch Li with the ripstop fabric option.

Eric B.

Absolutely agree not all "3 season" tents are equal. All 0/20/30 degree sleeping bags aren't equal either. However, I've been through some pretty nasty stuff in my Kuiu Mountain Star and have nothing but praise for it. Absolutely fantastic 3 season tent! Is it ideal for blizzard conditions? Absolutely not but, I have no problems using it in fall CO mountain hunts.

MAG, I'd say the Kuiu is just fine for any winter storm outside of a hurricane (known as a blizzard). It is a well designed dome tent with a nice vestibule AND can be erected in a storm W/O getting the interior wet.

Eric B.

I use a linerless duomid or my wife's tent without a liner here in Colorado for November and December camping. I use wind blocks out of what I find in the woods or bank snow on the edges. Blowing snow isn't a big deal if you go floorless year round. I rarely camp in the open in winter or summer. Great way to loose radiant heat. The night before 4th rifle it was about negative 12. It would of been warmer with more snow but doable cold camping. I did have a fire about the last day of packing my bull out, so I was kind of cheating. Just think what would a backpacker do.

chindits (you've been in Burma?)
For me a double wall tent is my much preferred type of winter tent choice.

Though a lot of mountaineers use single wall, floorless pyramid tents for the space and light weight.

Either way I personally like to be snug inside my Tarptent Moment DW or SCARP 2, snug in my LL Bean -20 F. down bag on my winter mattress in a raging winter storm (and reading a paperback) It's times like this is when going outside for a whiz is not fun so I have a pee bottle - and some hand sanitizer.

Eric B.

My grandfather was an immigrant from the UK. Another forgotten unit that operated in deep doo doo.

chindits,
Yeah, I'm very familiar with the WW II Burma campaign with the British Chindits and the American Merrill's Marauders units.

A great book on the Chindits is "The Road Past Mandalay". All soldiers on both sides suffered a lot in Burma's (Mayanmar's) steaming, muddy jungles. That your grandfather survived that campaign is a testament to his endurance and courage. We owe a lot to that "Greatest Generation".

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.