3 new project rifles almost done. Savages.

jcoop

I figured I'd share my 3 new project rifles I have been working on. 2 are done and one needs paint.
I've built myself quite a few rifles over the years on Stiller, Remington, Weathersby etc. but finally realized I'm just a savage guy.

First is my Light weight 300 WSM
I wanted a light weight rifle that is still capable of reasonably long-range hunting. 2 things most lightweight rifles sacrifice is barrel length and either no or plastic bottom metal. I could have built it lighter but I was able to meet my goal of 7.5lb including the scope and still retain the nicer stainless bottom metal and a 24" barrel plus the brake.
Parts
Savage 16 Lightweight hunter action converted to top bolt release
Manners EH1 carbon fiber stock.
24" McGowan SS barrel that I turned down and wrapped myself
Benchmark titanium muzzle brake
factory stainless DBM
Savage target accutrigger and sear set at 1.5lb
flipflop recoil pad
glades armory bolt handle that I shortened and put a 300 WSM case head in it.
DNZ rings
Vortex Razor HD light weight hunter 3-15X42.
I included a quick video of this rifle being fired. Note the almost no recoil for a 7.5lb 300WSM. this is with 190gr long range accubonds at around 2950FPS.

light weight 300wsm.JPG

Single shot 338 lapua 10lb 8oz including scope
Parts
Savage model 112 single shot lapua action cerracoated McMillian grey
Benchmark 29" SS 10 twist barrel that I turned down and carbon fiber wrapped
Manners T2 stock previous owner had painted it. I started sanding for paint prep but ended up leaving it as I really like the distressed look.
Glades armory bolt body
Glades armory bolt handle
Target accutriger set at 12oz.
3 port brake Cerra coated Mcmillian grey
SSS solid top scope rail
Vortex Rings
Vortex Viper HSLR 6-24X50 with XLR reticule
338 lapua.jpg

6MM-223 or 6X45 Stock still needs paint
This was a fun one! I made from parts I had sitting around and cost me very little to build. And it SHOOTS!!
Stevens action cera coated flat black
21" Pacnor SS 8 twist barrel that I got on trade from a member here. It was originally a 6mm Remington but I cut it off and rethreaded/rechambered it and did a carbon wrap.
Stock was originally a Bell and Carlson anchutz 10/22 stock that I glassed in and re inleted. I also permanently bonded the PTG bottom metal to stiffen everything up. It became like a mini-mini chassis
PTG bottom metal
3 port brake
Target accutrigger and sear set at 12oz
EGW scope rail
Warne rings
Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16X50
6mm-223.jpg

Last edited:
Very, very cool. How did you do the carbon wrap? That's some serious work with that bell and Carlson stock. Thanks for sharing!!

Very, very cool. How did you do the carbon wrap? That's some serious work with that bell and Carlson stock. Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks! I have been doing the carbon barrel thing for myself for about 12 years now. Before it was popular. I work in composites as a product designer so it makes it an easy deal for me to have access to the needed equipment. The way I do the wrap is kind of my own style. All the companies doing it have different schools of thought on what carbon to use and what they are trying to achieve. Some are going after heat dissipation and others stiffness. Unfortunately you cant have both. The type of carbon that dissipates heat is not extremely stiff and tend to expand and contract with heat. The extremely stiff fibers act as an insulator but tend to be inert and do not expand or contract with heat. This is the fiber that I use. I am not as worried about my barrel heating up as long as my POI does not change. I'm not firing so many shots in a row that would burn up a barrel anyhow.

The benefits I have found are, I don't seem to have to work up a load like I did with steel barrels, almost like your not trying to find that node because the ringing goes away do to the barrels stiffness.
I'm able to get heavy bull barrel accuracy and consistency out of a much lighter barrel. The rifles balance better as more of the steel is taken away towards the end of the barrel.
And of course lighter weight which allows me to run a longer barrel that still balances, and gets more velocity for the same or less weight.

did you have any concerns building the WSM on the small shank lightweight action?
Yeah it crossed my mind. However its pretty much common practice to run small shank on the WSM/RUM cases. The Remington Remage barrels run even deeper threads and I have not had or heard of any issues with bursting or even extraction on the WSM case. The lightweight action still leaves as much meat around the tenon as a large shank barrel on a standard action. I don't run crazy over pressure loads and have had no issues.
That being said I am not encouraging anyone to this as its up to each person to decide what is save for them.
Ill see if I can fix the pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.