2nd Aoudad

Love hunting these critters!
This is my second aoudad and first with my custom "sheep" gun. A remington 700 in 280.

spotted this ram from about 2mi away and managed to bridge the gap down to 450 yards.

I nailed him when he got up from his nap and turned broadside.
That looks like the Davis mountains in West Texas, I grew up around that area. Nice kill and stalk.

The Davis Mountains are some of the most beautiful mountains and area to hunt. I have taken many on a private ranch , largest was 34" , took 3 180 gr .300 win mag to the shoulder and still managed to crawl another 100 ft.

Thanks for all the comments, definitely appreciate it and certainly ready to hike up the mountains agains!

Only you can answer that question. I'm over 60 and over 300 pounds and I don't have a problem. My younger brothers do but they smoke and I do work out. I always train on a treadmill at maximum elevation for one hour.

I've spent some time on a treadmill. If you have your speed set for 3 or higher, that's a darn good workout. Tell us the rest of your story. You must be like 6'8 or something. :)

Is it a gentlemen's over 60 hunt, or a young guy who runs marathons hunt ?

aoudad can be found in gently rolling terrain or very rugged, steep country. Some aouda hunting can be done from ATVs. I am 63 and still hunt at 9-10,000 ft in Colorado for elk and have hunted in New Mexico for aoudad.
I like a stair master for training if in a gym but hiking with a loaded backpack is best for training

I've spent some time on a treadmill. If you have your speed set for 3 or higher, that's a darn good workout. Tell us the rest of your story. You must be like 6'8 or something. :)
Not really, under 6 foot weight gain due to meds (steroid). I start my work out at 2 and 0 degree on tread mill. Every 2 minutes I increase spead by .1 on speed and .5 on incline. After 30 minutes I am already at max incline of 15 degrees and 3.5 on speed. Once my heat rate reaches 180 beats per minute I began to decrease the speed every minute until my heart rate drops between 150 to 160 beats per minute and keep it there for the next 30 minutes and the incline remains at max elevation for the duration of the workout. I normally burn about 1100 to 1250 calories within 55 minutes to an hour. Its more of a fat burning workout than a cardio. I don't go faster because at 300+ pounds I don't want to ruin my knees. I used to run between 40 to 60 miles a week when I was in the army and when I retired I still kept active. I also walk an additional 15 miles a week with my wife in the evenings in addition to my treadmill workout.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.