280 Remington mountain rifle

birddog67

I just picked one up thinking about using it for a build rifle
A few questions :
Would you change it to 280 AI ?
What barrel make would you go with ? Thinking Krieger 27" what twist and grove and contour

Would you brake it ?
What stock would you put on it ?
I have a trigger
Glass also taken care of

Give me some ideas

What bullets would.you load thinking 168 -180

Let me have you ideas

Have you shot it like it is? I built a 280 Ackley last year on an old Ruger tang safety just because I wanted it. It was a 25-06. I never shot a regular 280. I like the 162 A-max but the 168s shoot good too. They are a little long to fit in my mag. so I just cut the plastic tips off the A-max's to fit in the magazine just incase I need another quick shot. I can't tell any difference with the tip on or off at 500 yards. It doesn't kick hard enough to need a break but it will help you stay on target and see your hits better.
Mine was a low buget build. I used a 27" #7 Douglas barrel 9 twist and put it in a Boyd Laminated stock. I would get one of the top name barrels like a krieger,Hart ect. if I had to do my build over again. The Douglas was real ruff and I had to lap it anyway.
One last thing. My barrel was a true 280 Ackley not the Nosler 280 ackley. The Nosler is .014 shorter than the real 280 ackley. I bought the Nosler 280 ackley brass and had way too much head space and had to neck them up to 30 cal then back down to 7mm to get a false shoulder to fire form them. With the real 280 Ackley you can use regular 280 brass and just load and shoot. It is up to you if you get the Nosler 280 Ackley reamer and just use Nosler Ackley brass.
280 Ackley Improved Alert | GunsmithTalk

To give you a recommendation, need a bit more information. What is your intended use for the rifle? carry rifle? longrange prone gun? something in between that can do both?

Here are some generalities though....

Barrel: from my experience, most of the popular custom barrel makers are producing great barrels. Krieger, Hart, Bartlein, Brux, etc. You don't go wrong with any of them.

Twist: definitely 1:9. This will allow you to shoot everything up to 180grain bullets. My 280 is odd because it only likes the light bullets (140grains) and heavy (168). It does not like anything in middle (150, 162)

280AI vs. 280Rem - I lean more towards the 280Rem because you don't have to do any fireforming (which eats away at barrel life)

If you want to build a longrange capable carry-rifle, here's mine:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.