28 nosler preformance with saami spec chamber

Badgerclaw

Hi everyone, just joined the website because I have a 28 nosler barrel on the way and most of the info I have on this caliber came from reading the forums on this page. I've read the majority of posts about the 28 nosler with 195 begers, and maybe I missed something, but it seams like everyone that wants to shoot the 195s has a gunsmith add freebore. I was wondering if anyone has tried the 195s in a saami spec chamber BEFORE reaming it out to custom specs? This is going to be a hunting rifle built on a rem 700 long action currently chambered in 7mm rem mag. I need the C.O.L. to fit in the magazine... not sure if thats possible with the 195s? The other bullet I was considering is the 180gr ELD-M. Does anyone have experience with this bullet in a saami spec chamber? I would really like to leave the factory magazine and chamber alone if possible. Is anyone else in the same boat? Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks in advance!

If it is like the other nosler set ups,the saami spec is real short so i think even a 180 would be tight , I could be wrong maybe someone else will chime in, I just looked at the 33 nosler print and it only has .125 FB

You don't have to chamber it specifically for the 195s to get over 3050fps with them. I had mine throated to 3.70 COAL with the 195. It shoots the 180 hybrid and the 180 ELDM just fine and I would assume the 175 ELDs would work too. I haven't and won't try any bullets lighter than 180. I did do the Wyatts mag box though....

I have a CA Ridgeline. It is getting right at 3100 with 180 ELDMs. I personally can't see the 195 being worth it in a SAAMI spec chamber. It is a little too short for the ELDMs but is about perfect for 180 Hybrids. I am still in the middle of testing but I can tell you I would not chose 195s over 180s in a SAAMI chamber.

By my calculations, you could load the 195s to 3.63 in the saami 28 nosler. Having the room in the magazine is the problem.

I run the 180 eld-m now. The Bergers will be around 3.63 in my chamber.

Google the saami spec. There is good free there.

By my calculations, you could load the 195s to 3.63 in the saami 28 nosler. Having the room in the magazine is the problem.

I run the 180 eld-m now. The Bergers will be around 3.63 in my chamber.

Google the saami spec. There is good free there.

The problem, in my opinion, is the lost case capacity.

Guys are running 3.71 for the 195s. How much is lost in the .08 coal difference. Most running the high speeds are using R33.

3.63 will fit for a sammi 28 nosler using the 195s.

Edit

I reread your post. I'm running the 180 eld-m too. You are running 50 fps faster. I am using h100 which is probably slower than what you are using.

In my experience and observations .080 is a lot. I'm running H1000. My 7-300 is faster but it's shooting Hybrids.

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like it could be worth buying a box of 195s to try them. I think I would be plenty happy with 3050 fps. And if they dont work out I'll give some 180 Eld-m's a try

If you are not in a hurry I should have more data on 180 Hybrid vs 180 ELDM in the next couple of weeks.

That would be awesome. I think I've still got 3-5 weeks before my barrel gets here. I'm interested to see if the bc on the 180 Eldm turns out to be accurate... .796!!! I also havent tried eld match bullets and wonder if they are held to tighter tolerances than the eld-x. I have two rifles that shoot Eld-x bullets under 1/2 moa. But I've noticed when I wheigh them I get up to 1.5 gr differences in wheight. So when I have a flyer in my group I'm always wondering if it was me or the bullet.

The 180 ELDMs will be shot out of a 9 twist. According to Hornady they will not be .796. I am hoping they are flatter than the 180 hybrids. I will report back asap. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

That would be awesome. I think I've still got 3-5 weeks before my barrel gets here. I'm interested to see if the bc on the 180 Eldm turns out to be accurate... .796!!! I also havent tried eld match bullets and wonder if they are held to tighter tolerances than the eld-x. I have two rifles that shoot Eld-x bullets under 1/2 moa. But I've noticed when I wheigh them I get up to 1.5 gr differences in wheight. So when I have a flyer in my group I'm always wondering if it was me or the bullet.

I'm shooting the 180 eld-match bullets loaded to an oal of 3.67 at 3100 fps with 80 grains of retumbo.
As for the b.c I've used it from 400 to 875 yards and it's right on.
I shot the 195's and wasn't impressed at all, I couldn't break 3000 fps with a temp stable powder so didn't see the point in Shooting them.
I'll make you a good deal on a partial box if you want to try them out.
If you have the option, throat your barrel to the max Remington mag length of 3.67" or longer.

I'm shooting the 180 eld-match bullets loaded to an oal of 3.67 at 3100 fps with 80 grains of retumbo.
As for the b.c I've used it from 400 to 875 yards and it's right on.
I shot the 195's and wasn't impressed at all, I couldn't break 3000 fps with a temp stable powder so didn't see the point in Shooting them.
I'll make you a good deal on a partial box if you want to try them out.
If you have the option, throat your barrel to the max Remington mag length of 3.67" or longer.

This information would be more useful if you listed your barrel twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.