.277 Nosler LRAB 150 grain on yotes

kimberyote

Anyone shoot a coyote with this bullet in 270 win?
The bullet has a high bc and would like to use my BAR for windy day yotes.
The description is that it opens up on lower velocities which might help vaporize Yotes.
Thanks in advance.

Anyone shoot a coyote with this bullet in 270 win?
The bullet has a high bc and would like to use my BAR for windy day yotes.
The description is that it opens up on lower velocities which might help vaporize Yotes.
Thanks in advance.

How long is your barrel…and what is the twist rate? Do you reload?

If it's like my friend's Safari and Longtrac, it came with factory 22" and 1:10".
Yes. Mine is about the older model Safari II w/BOSS w/22'' barrel.
I have only reloaded for the gun. It shoots 110 Vmaxs very good. 135 SMK very good.
I have a 243 win w/ 88 Bergers @ 3200 that is half MOA if I am on my game.
I am looking to push the idea of a High BC that will deflect the wind and go nuclear on Yotes. Im guessing the speeds will be 2700-2800 if I am lucky. I had a 150 partition load back in the day, but it stopped grouping good as it first started out.
I wish bullet manufacturers would make heavy, high BC bullets, that would have a Varmint design to them. It's an open market. Nosler seems to be the only company that just by dumb luck, they stumbled upon it, trying to fill another niche in the market. If the LRAB does in fact does expand on coyotes, the sales just might take off with other yote hunters such as myself that have a 270 and want to keep the yote population down while making it safer to use in rural coyote- dispatching environments.

berger has both a higher bc, and will open up better
Is that speaking from experience Ron?? I have learned a lot from you and Ackelyman in the last several years. Type on Ron, Type on. Your experiences have saved me a lot of time and money while remaning a safe reloader.
I shot a yote a couple of years ago w/ 140 berger hunting VLD that rolled the yote, but got up and trotted off. I have seen great results w/ 87 & 88 bergers out of my 243 win on yotes for several years now. My bud has shot elk & mule deer w/ great results too in 7mm mag.

I have killed 2 yotes this year with 7mag and 140 vld berger, and they looked to be hit with a speeding semi truck with a hay spike on the bumper, there was not enough hide left to make a pair of gloves.

Have you thought about the Barnes 129 LRX ? They have a "decent" BC(.463) and are supposed to open up at lower speeds than the other Barnes.

They are also lighter than the 150s so you could push them faster through your 22" barrel.

If you want to lob 150s…have you thought about the 150 SSTs ? They are cheap and the fly well. Heck, even look at the 140 SSTs...

Have you thought about the Barnes 129 LRX ? They have a "decent" BC(.463) and are supposed to open up at lower speeds than the other Barnes.

They are also lighter than the 150s so you could push them faster through your 22" barrel.

If you want to lob 150s…have you thought about the 150 SSTs ? They are cheap and the fly well. Heck, even look at the 140 SSTs...

I am in no way doubting the performance of the bullets that we have available on the market. But when the differences in the ballistic coefficient are almost 200 from the closest one, then I take that into serious consideration. My main accomplishment, is to have a bullet with a high ballistic coefficient that opens up on coyotes. A BC of well over six is something to be taken seriously.

I am in no way doubting the performance of the bullets that we have available on the market. But when the differences in the ballistic coefficient are almost 200 from the closest one, then I take that into serious consideration. My main accomplishment, is to have a bullet with a high ballistic coefficient that opens up on coyotes. A BC of well over six is something to be taken seriously.

Bryan Litz tested the 270 LRAB and got a G1 of .543 and a G7 of .278 out of a 1-10 twist barrel…

http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=258104

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.