270WSM Handloads

My gun Winchester model 70 we're running hodgdon 4831sc behind nosler 130 grain ballistic tip using Remington 9 1/2 mag primers at just over 3,100 ft per second

4831sc and 4350 for middle of the road 130 and 140 grain pills (bal tips, accubond, and sst type bullets) have performed well on or around the lower node near 3000fps.

Admittedly my first barrel that essentially was a test barrel for bullets 85-160grains preferred a node that was always just over book max. I've loaded for 2 barrels of my own as well as for both my in laws and they all trend more towards that slower moderate node.

If I was still in the 1.5 range after a bit of testing I'd probably be looking mechanical i.e. crown, chamber lead etc.

With the pedigree your custom has it should be a tack driver. Mines a Savage md 14 American Classic mostly use w-w brass,or Norma ,but powder volumes vary. CCI250 is a great primer as Fed 215 ,even non mag primers work and Very well to . Some of my best loads are 1.5 from max ,but that varies also . Your Powder choice?.
Yes. We have several Gunwerks customs in the family. They've all been top notch and usually come with a custom load. This rifle dates back to their beginnings, possibly before the split with Best of the West and we didn't get a load workup. The Leupold scope was also pre Huskemaw. The last Gunwerks rifle my son bought had the Nightforce NXS. Their load workups are great. I don't think the 270WSM was ever one of their popular calibers.

I thought Gunserks shipped their rifles with the recipe!
See my comment below. This was prior to the split (Best of the West vs Gunwerks) It's been sitting in the gunsafe for a long time because we didn't get a custom load. Old dad is retired now and has time to mess with it. My son has one of their tack driver 7 mags and no time or situation to work up a load for this one. My sons and I all have tight shooting 300 Win mags, 6.5-284's, and 6.5 Creedmoors. This is an attempt to activate an old acquisition that never got completed. 270's fell off the popularity map for a while. Will be interesting to see if the new US military 6.8, aka 277 Fury, brings 270 variations get popular again. The 270 has not had an influencer since Jack OConnor. The 270 also needs some attention from bullet producers.

See my comment below. This was prior to the split (Best of the West vs Gunwerks) It's been sitting in the gunsafe for a long time because we didn't get a custom load. Old dad is retired now and has time to mess with it. My son has one of their tack driver 7 mags and no time or situation to work up a load for this one. My sons and I all have tight shooting 300 Win mags, 6.5-284's, and 6.5 Creedmoors. This is an attempt to activate an old acquisition that never got completed. 270's fell off the popularity map for a while. Will be interesting to see if the new US military 6.8, aka 277 Fury, brings 270 variations get popular again. The 270 has not had an influencer since Jack OConnor. The 270 also needs some attention from bullet producers.
I'm building a 270WSM as we speak. 8 Twist and plan on shooting the 140 and 150 Badlands from it. Both their 140 and 150 have very impressive BC's.

IMG_1654.png

HELP! I'm struggling to find a tack driving load for the 270WSM. I'm thinking the 270 Win was just fine. I've tried numerous loads with numerous powders but can't get to sub minute accuracy with a 270 WSM custom rifle. The Leopold scope and mounts are not the issue. The old 270 Win treated me much better. I've been shooting and handloading for many years and can still shoot one hole groups with my precision rifles. This project has really soured me on the WSM concept, at least for the 270.
Twist rate on your rifle, please?